Meet your new favorite pasta. This vegan spaghetti sauce AKA spaghetti pomodoro is a simple tomato sauce that makes the perfect date night dinner. It’s made with just 10 simple ingredients and ready in only 20 minutes.
- 16 ounces pasta of choice
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (fire roasted for a deeper flavor)*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 5 large cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)*
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cashew Parmesan for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Dice the onion and garlic and add to a pan with the olive oil.
- Saute for 5-10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped basil and salt and saute an additional 5 minutes to let the flavors blend together.
- Add the onion mixture to a blender along with the can of tomatoes and all remaining ingredients and process until your desired consistency. Pulse a few times to keep it a bit chunky, process completely until smooth, or skip this step entirely if you want a lot of texture to the sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Transfer the sauce back to the pan and let simmer for about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend together.
- Combine the cooked spaghetti and sauce and top with fresh basil and cashew parmesan if desired.
Once prepared, this recipe will store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
This sauce can be frozen! You can make a large batch and put the sauce into freezer safe containers and freeze for 3 months. Be sure the sauce has completely cooled before sealing the container.
The sauce as prepared is not spicy, if you want it to be spicy then add extra red pepper flakes.
White onion can be used in place of yellow onion, though this will change the flavor slightly.
If you can’t find crushed tomatoes, diced or chopped will also work. You can then pulse in a blender or food processor to give the crushed texture. You can also use fire roasted tomatoes for a deeper flavor.
Start with 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and add more to increase the spice. 1/2 tsp won’t be very spicy, whereas 1 tsp will be somewhat spicy.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 338
- Fat: 16.3g
- Carbohydrates: 50.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 6.2g
Keywords: spaghetti pomodoro, vegan spaghetti sauce, vegan pasta sauce, pasta pomodoro