The only thing your Thanksgiving menu is missing is this kale and apple salad with wild rice and a simple dijon dressing. It’s easy to make and adds a beautiful pop of color to any dining table! It’s gluten free, and can easily be made vegan.
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice (about 1/2 cup uncooked)
- 1 large apple (I like honeycrisp)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pomegranate airls
- De-stem the kale and add to a colander. While warm water is running over it, massage the kale gently to break it down to make it less tough.
- After about 1 minute, transfer to a cutting board and pat dry with a towel.
- Chop into small, bite size pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
- Chop the apple into small piece or thin strips (I used a mandolin to get them thin).
- To make the dressing, add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together or add to a small mason jar and shake until well combined.
- Toss the kale with the dressing and massage with your hands to make sure every leaf is well coated.
- Add in the rice, pomegranate, apple, and walnuts and toss together.
The honey can be subbed for maple syrup if vegan.
I personally like curly kale for this salad, but any type of kale will work.
Once prepared, this salad will store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
You can sub the wild rice for any type of rice or quinoa for some added protein.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 368
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 24.1g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 4.1g
Keywords: kale apple salad, kale salad, thanksgiving side salad