This smashed chickpea avocado salad is an easy and delicious lunch you can bring to work, school, or the beach! It takes 5 minutes to prepare, requires no fancy equipment and is made with simple, good for you ingredients.
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 1/2 large ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Juice from 1 lemon or lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Optional but recommended: 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas until no bubbles remain.
- Add the chickpeas and the avocado to a food processor and pulse until broken up. OR add the avocado to a large bowl and mash completely, add the chickpeas and mash with a fork until broken up.
- Transfer to a bowl or keep in the bowl and add all remaining ingredients.
- Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve as is or in a sandwich or wrap.
If using fresh chickpeas cooked from dry, you’ll need 1.5 cups of cooked chickpeas for every 1 can. You do not need to cook the canned chickpeas, just make sure they are drained and rinsed well.
Once prepared, the chickpea salad will store in the fridge for about 3-5 days.
Any other kind of onion can be used in place of red onion, but red onion does add extra flavor and a pop of color.
If you want the texture of this chickpea salad to be ultra perfect, I suggest removing the chickpea skins before processing/mashing. It can be a tedious task, but if you add the chickpeas between two kitchen towels and rub them around, a lot of the skins should come off on their own.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 13.3g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 14.1g
- Protein: 12.4g
Keywords: chickpea avocado salad, chickpea salad recipe, chickpea salad, healthy school lunch