Creamy, easy, and so delicious, this vegan butternut squash soup is a fall favorite recipe!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 4 medium carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and dry them off, removing as many skins as possible.
- Toss the chickpeas will the olive oil and add to the oven. DO NOT add the seasonings yet.
- Bake for 45 minutes, remove from the oven and then toss with the seasonings.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Peel the carrots and chop off the ends.
- Add the carrots and squash to a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Mince the garlic and add to a pan with the chopped onion and final tbsp of olive oil.
- Saute until the garlic is fragrant and onion is translucent.
- When the squash is done, carefully scoop out the flesh and add to a high speed blender with the carrots, onion/garlic mixture and all remaining ingredients.
- Process until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Transfer to a pan and to keep warm or serve immediately.
It’s ok if you don’t remove the chickpea skins, but removing them will help the chickpeas crispy more easily.
The squash can be in the oven at the same time as the chickpeas to speed up the cooking process! Just skip to step 5 while you wait for the chickpeas to cook.
Adding the seasonings after the chickpeas cook will help them to actually get and stay crispy.
This soup will be thick on its own, but if you want it even thicker, you can add arrowroot starch or cornstarch to thicken it up.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 406
- Sugar: 11.4g
- Fat: 25.4g
- Carbohydrates: 41.6g
- Fiber: 10.2g
- Protein: 8.9g
Keywords: butternut squash soup, vegan butternut squash soup, vegan soup