Soup is essential on a cold winter day and this vegan tomato soup is the perfect recipe to warm you up. It’s ready in under 30 minutes, so creamy without any dairy, and high in protein thanks to a (not so) secret ingredient!
- Add the minced garlic and onion to a pot with the olive oil.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the oregano, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, pepper, and chopped basil.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, milk and stir well.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes, smooshing the tomatoes with the back of your spoon to flatten. Be careful because they’re hot and will squirt!
- Transfer everything to the blender along with the white beans.
- Process until completely smooth.
- Serve with fresh basil and enjoy!
If you’re worried about wasting the other half of the can of beans, you can add the whole can into the soup, but this will make it thicker so you may want to add an additional 1/2 cup of milk.
Once prepared, this soup will keep in the fridge for 5 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
Red, white, and yellow onions all work well in this recipe, but red onion will have the most intense flavor.
Be sure to process the soup until completely smooth. About 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on your blender.
This soup has a moderately thick and creamy consistency as is, but it isn’t thick like a stew. If you want it thicker, you can either blend in the whole can of beans, use less milk, or add 1-2 tbsp of arrowroot powder and let simmer over low heat until thicker.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 126
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: vegan tomato soup, tomato soup, vegan soup recipes