Easy and delicious these vegetarian sweet potato sushi rolls are perfect for meal prep or a date night in!
For the rice:
- 1 1/2 cups white sushi rice, rinsed well
- 2 1/4 cups water (or follow instructions on rice cooker)
- 1 tablespoons rice vinegar*
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Optional: 1 tbsp sugar*
For the roll:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced into thin strips,
- Optional: 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (gluten free if needed)
Spicy Tahini Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (or to taste)
- Water to thin (amount will depend on your tahini)
- Optional: Juice from 1/2 lemon or lime
- Cook the sushi rice according to package instructions.
- When done cooking, stir in the rice vinegar if using and salt.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and peel the sweet potato and chop into roughly 2 inch long slices (about 1/2 inch thick).
- Add the brown rice flour, hot sauce, olive oil, and almond milk to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in the flour mixture.
- Toss with the breadcrumbs and add to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To assemble the sushi, add a nori sheet to a sushi rolling mat. Add a layer of rice to the bottom 2/3 of the nori, leaving about 2 inches of space at the top (see image). Press the rice down firmly to ensure it sticks.
- Add all your fillings to the bottom half of the rice. For this recipe we are using sweet potato, cucumber, and avocado.
- To roll, use the bamboo mat to gently fold the roll up and out. Keep rolling until you get to the last inch of the nori. Use some water to seal the ends together.
- Repeat until all rice has been used.
- To make the dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. Add water until it is your desired consistency.
Traditional sushi uses sugar and rice vinegar in the rice, I did not for this recipe and it is fine. However, if you want traditional sushi rice, I would recommend adding them!
Keywords: vegetarian sushi recipe, avocado sushi, sweet potato sushi, easy vegan sushi