There’s nothing quite like a hearty soup on a cold winter evening. This brown rice and lentil soup is a cozy and delicious recipe that is also perfect for meal prep!
I don’t know about you, but this time of year there’s noting I love more than easy, hearty, and delicious and soups to keep me warm. It’s been rather cold over here in Boston the past few weeks (but still no snow) and my body is craving all the soups and stews. This rice and lentil soup is packed with flavor, plant based protein, fiber, iron and a host of other nutrients. You can also very easily customize it as you wish by adding other herbs, spices, or vegetables.
For all you meal prep fans out there, this recipe is perfect for you! It makes a big batch already, so depending on how many people you’re serving, you should have enough leftover. You can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days, or even pop it in the freezer for a few weeks. This red lentil daal is another one of my favorite winter recipes.Print
This hearty brown rice and lentil soup is the perfect winter recipe!
- 1 cup french lentils
- 2/3 cup brown rice (I suggest short grain)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2–1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4–1/2 tsp black pepper
- Peel and mince the garlic and dice the onion.
- Add to a large sauce pan with 1 tsp of olive oil and sauté until translucent.
- Chop the bell pepper and carrots into small pieces and add to the pan.
- Sauté for a few minutes until they soften.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a low boil, and reduce heat.
- Cover, and let simmer for about 40-45 minutes, or until it is thick and the rice and lentils are cooked thoroughly.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
To make oil free, you may sub the oil with vegetable broth or water, just be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t stick.
Keywords: hearty lentil soup, easy lentil soup, lentil stew recipe