This hearty brown rice and lentil soup is the perfect winter recipe!
- 1 cup french lentils
- 2/3 cup brown rice (I suggest short grain)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2–1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4–1/2 tsp black pepper
- Peel and mince the garlic and dice the onion.
- Add to a large sauce pan with 1 tsp of olive oil and sauté until translucent.
- Chop the bell pepper and carrots into small pieces and add to the pan.
- Sauté for a few minutes until they soften.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a low boil, and reduce heat.
- Cover, and let simmer for about 40-45 minutes, or until it is thick and the rice and lentils are cooked thoroughly.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
To make oil free, you may sub the oil with vegetable broth or water, just be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t stick.
Keywords: hearty lentil soup, easy lentil soup, lentil stew recipe