Seed cycling is a natural method of rotating seeds at different times of your menstrual cycle to support production and elimination of hormones to support clear skin. These seed cycling energy bites are a delicious way to get these seeds into your diet!
This post was initially published on March 5, 2019, but has been updated as of September 17, 2019 with new information, a modified recipe and FAQ’s answered.
What is seed cycling?
Seed cycling is a safe and natural method of rotating certain seeds at different times of your menstrual cycle (2). There are four specific seeds that support hormone balance. Flax, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower seeds.
These seeds provide various oils, vitamins, minerals, and phytoestrogens that help stimulate production, detoxification, and metabolism of estrogen and progesterone.
How does it work?
Essentially, through the lignans, minerals, vitamins, and phytoestrogens found in certain seeds seeds, your body’s endocrine system is supported which in turns helps to balance your hormones (2). Here’s how to seed cycle!
Days 1-14 (the first day of your period through ovulation): eat 1 tbsp daily of both flax and pumpkin seeds.
- FLAX & PUMPKIN– Contain necessary nutrients for estrogen production. Also contain lignans, which help to bind excess estrogen so that it can be eliminated from the body and prevent estrogen dominance as well as balance Follicle Stimulating Hormone, A.K.A FSH. (1)
Days 15-28: eat 1 tbsp daily of both sesame and sunflower seeds.
- SESAME & SUNFLOWER: High in selenium and vitamin E which are known to stimulate progesterone production (1 and 2).
I love getting these seeds in through some energy bites, bliss balls, energy balls, whatever you call them! They basically taste like dessert but are packed with skin loving healthy fats and hormone balancing properties to get you glowing (2).
Alternatively, you can grind up a bunch of seeds ahead of time and sprinkle them on things like yogurt, oatmeal, salads, or blend them right into smoothies. There is no right or wrong way to have the seeds, but these energy bites make it easy to stay on track!
Tips, tricks & FAQ’s
- I recommend storing the seeds in the fridge or freezer to prevent them from going rancid.
- You do not need to soak your seeds first. In fact, this will make them harder to grind up and turn them to mush, so I recommend NOT soaking your seeds at all. Grinding them will make them easy to digest and more bioavailable anyway! However, you definitely DO want the seeds to be ground for seed cycling.
- While you can buy pre-ground flax seeds at the grocery store, I recommend buying all of the seeds whole and raw and grinding them yourself. This way you can ensure they are as fresh and potent as possible.
- You can use either black or white sesame seeds for this method.
- I recommend using a high quality food processor to grind the seeds for these energy bites, but a high speed blender will also work.
You may also like…
Be sure to follow along on instagram for more recipes and leave a comment and rating below if you try out seed cycling!
Seed Cycling Energy Bites
- Add the oats and pulse a few times until they are broken up.
- Add all remaining ingredients and process until a dough forms.
- Taste the mixture and add in any additional flavorings if desired. If the mixture is too wet, add more oats, if it is not wet enough, add more maple syrup or almond butter.
- Use a spoon to scoop out dough and form into even size balls.