This mashed chickpea salad is a delicious and vegan take on your favorite chicken salad!
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/4 large red onion (about 1/3 cup chopped)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (or more to taste)
- 2–3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1–2 tbsp runny tahini (see notes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to a bowl.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash or pulse a few times in a food processor, being sure to leave a few chickpea chunks.
- Peel and chop the carrot and add to the bowl.
- Chop the onion, cilantro, celery, mince the garlic and add to the bowl.
- Add in all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Enjoy as is, on top of some toast, or in a wrap!
Your tahini should be nice and runny-not like cardboard! I like the brand Soom Foods or the 365 Whole Foods tahini.
Keywords: chickpea salad, chickpea tuna salad, mashed chickpea salad, healthy chickpea salad