These peanut butter and jelly overnight oats are a simple and healthy breakfast recipe. They take less than 10 minutes to prepare, are high in protein and make your weekday morning a whole lot easier!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you buy any products through those links. I only link to products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for making Eat With Clarity possible!
Baked peanut butter and jelly oatmeal is my go to for a slow cozy morning, but these peanut butter overnight oats are perfect for a busy day or when you just don’t feel like cooking.
Getting out of bed in the morning is always easier when you have breakfast waiting for you, right?! I think so.
This recipe is perfect to meal prep for the week since you can make a big batch and have different flavor combinations every day. Throw in some cocoa powder, use canned coconut milk, a fun flavored jam, whatever you like! Just 5 minutes and a few simple ingredients is all you need to get started.
- Oats: I suggest rolled oats for this recipe for best results! If you have celiac like me, be sure to use certified gluten free oats.
- Chia Seeds: The chia seeds will add some protein to the recipe and help to thicken the mixture.
- Peanut Butter: I personally like using creamy peanut butter, but chunky also works. Of course, this can be subbed for any nut or seed butter if you have a preference or allergy. Highly recommend my homemade almond butter!
- Chia Jam: I suggest using my homemade chia jam, but you can use store bought jam if you want as well.
- Non-Dairy Milk: I’m loyal to almond milk, but whatever type of milk you use, it will help soften the oats and give them a creamy texture. Soy, coconut, oat or almond all work well! I love vanilla, but anything goes.
- Cinnamon & Salt: The salt somehow gives this a true authentic peanut butter jelly flavor. If you’re using salted peanut butter, you can leave this out.
How to make this recipe
If you haven’t already, the first step is to make the homemade chia jam. This only takes about 5 minutes to make so you can let that cook while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
Next up, add the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt to a bowl. Stir in the almond milk, peanut butter and maple syrup if using and whisk everything together.
Transfer the bowl (or container/jar) to the fridge and let set overnight or for at least 1 hour.
When you’re ready to eat, layer with the chia jam and a little extra peanut butter if you like. You can layer everything into jars like I did to take on the go, or just mix everything together!
Enjoy as is or top it off with some coconut flakes, cinnamon, fresh berries or a drizzle of honey.
What kind of oats are best?
However, quick oats will also work for this recipe, so it’s up to you which one you decide on. Quick oats will thicken a bit faster, which is a bonus, but the mixture can also end up a bit mushier since they absorb liquid differently.
Tips, tricks & serving suggestions
Generally, overnight oats are eaten cold, but if you have extra time in the morning, you can heat these up in the microwave or stove for a cozy breakfast! If you do choose to heat them up, just add a touch more liquid so they stay nice and creamy.
The oats will keep in the fridge for about 3 days. You can store the oat with or without the peanut butter and jam, it will keep for the same amount of time either way.
You can use any berry for the homemade chia jam, I personally think strawberry and raspberry give this a true PB & J flavor!
Try these recipes next!
- Caramelized Banana Oatmeal
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Banana Bread Granola
- Breakfast Potatoes
- Chocolate Chia Overnight Oats
If you want more recipes straight to your inbox, be sure to subscribe to my email list. As always, tag me on instagram if you make this recipe so I can see your creation! Be sure to rate the recipe below and let us know how it turns out!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats
by: claire cary
- Add the oats, chia seeds, peanut butter, cinnamon, almond milk, salt and honey to a bowl, jar, or container and mix well.
- Let sit in the fridge overnight to thicken or for at least 1 hour.
- In the morning, add a few scoops of the chia jam and extra peanut butter to the oats and enjoy!