This red lentil and carrot soup is an easy and delicious dairy free soup that is perfect for a chilly winter day. It’s incredibly easy to make, made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, and comes together in just about 30 minutes!
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic and add to a large pan with the olive oil.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or until very fragrant and the onion is translucent.
- Add in all of the spices, salt and chopped carrots.
- Saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in the red lentils, tomato paste and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to (very) low and let simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a high speed blender with the can of coconut milk (you may need to do this in 2 batches depending on the size) and process until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Feel free to thin it out with extra vegetable broth if desired.
- Transfer back to the pot and garnish with chopped parsley, red pepper flakes and a few dollops of coconut yogurt.
Once prepared, this soup will store in the fridge for about 5 days. Allow it to cool completely before transferring it to a container.
You don’t want the lentils to cook too quickly, so make sure the heat is on very low and the pot is covered. Don’t transfer the soup to the blender until all of the liquid is absorbed from the lentils and they are completely soft.
How much salt you need will depend on the saltiness of your broth. I used low sodium veggie broth so ended up using closer to 1 1/2 tsp salt. If you’re using regular broth start with 1/2 tsp and adjust as needed.
This soup will keep in the freezer for 1 month. Leave some space in the container for expansion and allow it to defrost in the fridge overnight before heating on the stove.
You can use an immersion blender for this recipe, but I find a high speed blender works best.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 425
- Sugar: 6.9g
- Fat: 16.8g
- Carbohydrates: 55.8g
- Fiber: 10.1g
- Protein: 17.8g
Keywords: red lentil soup, red lentil and carrot soup, vegan red lentil soup