Creamy, delicious, and made with simple ingredients, this mushroom broccoli rigatoni with lemon garlic cream sauce is a simple and delicious dinner. It’s ready in about 20 minutes and approved by both kids and adults!
- 16 ounces rigatoni
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (can be pre-sliced or whole)
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened plain non dairy milk
- 3–4 tbsp lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 12 large garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Gently wipe mushrooms to remove any dirt.
- Slice each mushroom into about 4 pieces.
- Add to a pan with the broccoli, add about 1 cup of water, cover, and let steam for about 5-7 minutes.
- Mince the garlic and add to a large pot with the olive oil and cook until the garlic starts to brown.
- Stir in the flour and whisk to get rid of any clumps.
- Slowly stir in the non-dairy milk and continue to whisk.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest if using.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer until the sauce has thickened. If the sauce doesn’t thicken to your desired consistency after 10 minutes, whisk in an additional tbsp of flour.
- Add the salt and pepper and stir.
- For an ultra creamy sauce, transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and process until completely smooth. I prefer blending the sauce because it infuses the garlic flavor into every bite and makes it incredibly creamy and silky.
- Add the mushrooms, broccoli and sauce to the cooked pasta. Stir to incorporate.
- Top with additional salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes if desired and enjoy!
The brown rice flour can be subbed with any other neutral flour like white rice flour or all purpose flour if not gluten free.
Any pasta shape will work, but I personally love rigatoni for this dish.
This recipe really does call for TWELVE cloves of garlic. That is not a typo!
You can use any non-dairy milk for this recipe, Just make sure it is both unflavored and unsweetened. For those with nut allergies, the almond milk can be subbed for soy milk.
I like to use this garlic press to make sure the garlic is very finely minced.
With the amount of flour being used in the sauce, it should not get goopy, but if it does, you can add it to the blender to make it creamy or whisk in some more milk.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 7.1g
Keywords: vegan cream sauce, creamy vegan pasta, mushroom broccoli pasta, broccoli pasta