Tofu dreams really do come true. This vegan burrito bowl with spicy baked tofu, cilantro lime rice, roasted pepper, black beans and creamy avocado is the ultimate recipe for meal prep. This is the tofu bowl you’ve been waiting for.
- 1 batch cilantro lime rice or Vegan Mexican Rice
- 1 can black beans
- 1 avocado
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 batch spicy tahini dressing
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain out excess liquid.
- Place between two towels and put a heavy object on top (a few books, tea pot, pan etc) and let press for 5-10 minutes. I know its annoying, but it does help crisp up the tofu really well!
- While the tofu is pressing, mix together the coconut sugar, arrowroot starch, spices and salt.
- Chop the tofu into cubes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil and sriracha.
- Add half of the oil/sriracha mixture to the tofu and toss lightly. Set the rest aside and we’ll use it later.
- Toss with the spices until well coated.
- Add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- De-seed and chop the peppers into strips and place on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, just 1-2 tsp so they don’t stick.
- Bake for 20 minutes and brush the rest of the sriracha mixture on the tofu.
- Bake for 10-15 more minutes or until crispy on the outside.
- Assemble bowls with cilantro lime rice, black beans (warmed if desired) peppers, tofu, avocado, spicy tahini dressing, and salsa if desired.
You can use red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, but orange and red have the strongest flavor when roasted.
If you don’t want the tofu to be too spicy, feel free to sub the sriracha for a less spicy hot sauce such as cholula.
Some brands of tofu are much firmer than others. Even if it’s labeled “extra firm tofu,” they’re not all created equal. I find the brand SoyBoy to be the firmest, so it works really well for baking. Any brand is fine, but if it seems too soft, try pressing the liquid out for longer.
The arrowroot starch can be subbed for corn starch or tapioca starch. Be sure to use the full 3 tbsp since it’s the key ingredient for making the tofu crispy!!
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 543
- Fat: 21.1g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 13.1g
- Protein: 22.6g
Keywords: vegan burrito bowl, tofu bowl, tofu buddha bowl, burrito bowl