Easy, crispy, delicious, this sesame tofu is the perfect weeknight dinner!
For the bowl:
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 2 large carrots, grated, peeled, or chopped
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
For the tofu:
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain excess liquid. Press it between a towel using a hard object (tea pot or books work well) for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Add the cubed tofu to a bowl and toss with 2 tbsp of arrowroot starch. Make sure it is well coated.
- Add to a pan with 1 tbsp avocado oil and cook over low heat.
- Cook until the bottom is golden brown and crispy, then flip and cook on each side. *DO NOT touch the tofu when it is crisping if you want to make sure it actually gets crispy!*
- Meanwhile, whisk together the vegetable broth and arrowroot until no clumps remain. Whisk in the sesame oil, maple syrup, minced garlic and ginger.
- When each side of the tofu is crispy, pour the sauce into the pan and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer to let the sauce thicken. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Assemble the bowls by adding a base of rice, then top with veggies, tofu, avocado and sesame seeds and enjoy!
The vegetables are merely suggestions, feel free to sub for your personal favorites!
Keywords: sushi bowl, vegetarian sushi bowl, sesame tofu, crispy tofu recipe