Say goodbye to soggy and bland tofu. This teriyaki tofu is crispy and SO flavorful.
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder/starch
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2–3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1–2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the tofu from the package.
- Place it between two towels or a few paper towels and put a heavy object on top. (See notes for suggestions)
- Let the extra liquid press out of the tofu for ideally 30 minutes.
- Once pressed, cut the tofu into cubes and add to a bowl.
- Toss with the salt and arrowroot powder and make sure every piece is well coated.
- Add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- While baking, prepare the sauce. Whisk together the 1 tbsp of arrowroot with 2 tbsp cold water and set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a sauce pan and heat over low heat.
- Add in the arrowroot mixture and reduce heat to low. Let simmer until the sauce thickens.
- When the tofu is done, transfer to a bowl and toss with about 3/4 of the sauce.
- Serve with rice, broccoli, or veggies of choice and top with the remaining sauce.
To press the tofu, I like to use either a stack of books or a teapot filled with water.
Keywords: teriyaki tofu, teriyaki tofu recipe, crispy tofu recipe, asian tofu recipes