All of your Fall dinner dreams are about to come true with this butternut squash risotto recipe! This is a gluten and dairy free dish that is easy to make and perfect for meal prep. Serve it at a family gathering or party to impress your friends!
- 2 cups arborio rice or short grain brown rice
- 4–6 cups vegetable broth, warm (see notes)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion (2 cups chopped)
- 4–5 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine*
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 cups pureed/mashed)
- 2 sage leaves
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and place face down on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and add to the baking tray.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the squash can be easily pierced with a fork.
- While that is cooking, add the chopped onion and minced garlic to a large pot with the olive oil.
- Saute until translucent.
- Add in the whole sage, salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and let brown for about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and cook until the liquid is absorbed/evaporated. Continue with this process until the rice is cooked through. Be sure to only add in 1/2 cup broth at a time, and stir occasionally until it is absorbed before adding in the next 1/2 cup.
- When the squash and tomatoes are done, let cool or use an oven mitt to peel off the skins of the tomatoes and remove the seeds of the squash.
- Add the peeled tomatoes to a blender.
- Measure out 2 cups worth of the squash flesh and add to the blender. Process until smooth.
- Add to the risotto and mix well.
- Remove the sage leaves, stir in the vegan parmesan and black pepper. Serve warm.
If using white arborio rice, you will end up needing about 4 cups of broth. If using short grain brown rice, you will need 6-7 cups of vegetable broth. When it gets close to being finished, taste the rice. If it is still crunchy, keep up with the vegetable broth.
Make sure the broth you are using is not cold. You want it at slightly warmer than room temperature, so heat it on the stove before you start the process of adding it to the risotto.
Once prepared, this risotto will store in the fridge for 5 days.
I used pinot grigio for this recipe, but any dry white wine will work.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 486
- Fat: 7.8g
- Carbohydrates: 90g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 8.1g
Keywords: butternut squash risotto, vegan risotto, vegan butternut squash risotto