Chana masala made easy! This vegan chana masala is a 1 pot Indian dish that is packed with plant protein, flavor and is perfect for meal prep. Serve with fresh naan and basmati rice for a delicious plant powered dinner.
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil*
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1 28 ounce can strained tomatoes*
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 serrano peppers*
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder (or juice from 1 lemon)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Add the chopped onion to a pan with the coconut oil.
- Saute for 5-10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the finely minced cilantro, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
- Saute an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in all spices, coconut sugar and sea salt. Stir well.
- After a few minutes, add the strained tomatoes, drained and rinsed chickpeas and stir until well combined.
- Partially cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Taste and add more garam masala, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, etc.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with naan, white rice, or enjoy as is.
I suggest using refined coconut oil to prevent a coconut flavor to the dish.
Spice note: I made this a few times, once using 2 serrano peppers with the seed and it was very spicy. I made it a second time, using 1 serrano pepper with no seeds and it was very mild. 2 serrano peppers with no seeds was the perfect spice for me, but use the seeds if you like spice.
A 28 ounce can of pureed tomatoes, unseasoned tomato sauce, or finely chopped tomatoes also work.
The amchur powder is a necessary component to traditional chana masala, but if you can’t fine it, no worries, lemon juice works just fine.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Fat: 12.1g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 13.8g
- Protein: 13.9g
Keywords: chana masala, vegan chana masala, chana masala recipe