Creamy, flavorful, and ready in about 30 minutes, this Vegan Alfredo Sauce recipe is a healthier twist on your old favorite pasta dish! It’s a rich dairy free sauce that even the pickiest of eaters will love.
- 16 ounces uncooked pasta
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic
- 1 large yellow onion
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast or cashew parmesan
- 1/4 tsp pepper (I like using white pepper for this recipe)
- Add the cashews to a bowl and top with boiling water. Let soak while you complete the next steps.*
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. If you’re using gluten free pasta, be careful not to overcook since it can fall apart pretty easily.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic and add to a large sauté pan with the olive oil.
- Cook on medium/low heat until the onions start to brown slightly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and chopped cauliflower to the pan.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 5-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender.
- Transfer contents to a high speed blender or food processor with all remaining ingredients, including the drained cashews.
- Process until completely smooth. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired. If the sauce is too thick, add more milk, if it is too thin, add in 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Pour the sauce on top of the cooked pasta and stir until well combined.
- Top with chopped chopped parsley or roasted red pepper flakes and enjoy!
The white pepper can be subbed for black, I used white to prevent any changes to the sauce color.
Any other plant milk will work in this recipe, I prefer almond for the flavor. Just be sure to use a plain and unsweetened milk.
Once prepared, this recipe will store in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat, add to a pan with a splash of milk or broth to help it stay creamy.
If you aren’t using a high speed blender, I recommend soaking the cashews in water overnight. If you are using a high speed blender, 30 minutes in boiling water should be fine.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 34.2g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 8.3g
Keywords: vegan alfredo sauce recipe, vegan fettuccine alfredo, fettuccine alfredo