This vegan kale caesar salad is a hearty and satisfying salad that is perfect for a crowd! It’s easy to make, nut free, gluten free but tastes just like a classic caesar dressing we all know and love.
- 1 head kale (any variety, I used curly) (about 4–5 heaping cups chopped)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 large avocado
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the drained, rinsed, and dried chickpeas to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and garlic and toss until well coated. Add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35 minutes, turn the oven off, and then let sit in the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes to crisp.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, prepare the rest of the salad. Remove the stems of the kale and chop the leaves into very small pieces.
- Add to a colander and run under warm water. While the water is running, massage the kale with your hands to help break it down.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and dry the kale using a towel.
- To make the dressing, add all ingredients into a high speed blender and process until smooth. Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Toss the dressing with the kale, and use your (clean) hands to massage the dressing into the kale.
- Add the chickpeas, sliced avocado, parmesan and enjoy!
To make your chickpeas extra crispy, after they have been drained and rinsed, you can peel off the skins of each chickpea. This step is tedious and annoying, but it does help the chickpeas crisp really well!
If you want a more classic caesar salad feel, you can use half romaine lettuce and half kale, or just use all romaine if you prefer.
Once prepared, this salad will store in the fridge for 3 days. The dressing on its own will keep for about a week.
You can use any kind of non-dairy milk for the recipe, just make sure it is plain and unsweetened.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Fat: 14.7g
- Carbohydrates: 23.5g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 14.6g
Keywords: caesar salad, kale caesar salad, vegan caesar salad, vegan kale caesar salad