Meet your new favorite Sunday night dinner recipe: Mexican inspired vegan tofu tacos! These easy vegan tacos are bursting with flavor with every bite, made with simple ingredients, and bound to impress the biggest meat eater. Top it all off with my dairy free cilantro lime crema and you’re in for a treat!
- 1 batch tofu walnut taco meat
- 1 batch Spanish Rice or cilantro lime rice
- 1 can black beans OR restaurant style instant pot black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup salsa (fresh pico de gallo is best)
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup chopped romaine or green leaf lettuce
- Chopped cilantro to top
- 8 small tortillas (corn, flour, or other)
Cilantro Lime Crema:
- 1 cup cashews (soaked and then drained)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1–2 limes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Prepare the Spanish rice and taco meat if you have not done so already.
- In a bowl, combine the drained and rinsed black beans, corn, and salsa/pico de gallo.
- In a high speed blender, blend all of the ingredients for the cilantro lime crema until completely smooth. Depending on your blender, you may need to let it run for a good minute to make sure the cashews process completely. Soaking the cashews overnight makes this process much easier!
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Assemble the tacos by warming the tortillas on the stove and then adding in spanish rice, taco crumbles, lettuce, black bean/corn salsa, avocado and the cilantro lime crema. Enjoy!
I highly recommend warming or toasting the tortillas before serving. You can do this on a pan on the stove, over an open flame (my preference for crispy edges) or pop them in an oven at 200 degrees until warm.
The cilantro lime crema will probably make more than you will need for this recipe, so it will keep in the fridge for 1 week. Store it in an air tight container for best results and give it a good shake before you use it next.
You can use any kind of tortilla you like for this recipe. Corn, flour, corn + flour, almond flour, whatever you have! All of the ingredients in this recipe are gluten free as always, so use your favorite GF tortilla!
As written, this recipe is not super spicy. If you want to spice it up, you can add a jalapeno to the spanish rice, cayenne to the taco meat, or drizzle everything with some hot sauce before you’re ready to eat!
- Serving Size: 2 small tacos, prepared
- Calories: 498
- Fat: 27g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 11.2g
- Protein: 18.2g
Keywords: tofu tacos, tofu taco recipe, vegan tacos, vegetarian tacos