Rich, flavorful, and lusciously creamy, this tomato basil pasta is going to be a new family favorite.
- 16 ounces pasta of choice
- 1 large yellow onion (about 1 1/4 cups chopped)
- 5 medium tomatoes (about 775 grams)
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce*
- 2–3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil (divided into 2x 2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Peel and chop the onion into large chunks, peel the garlic, and cut the tomatoes in half and then half again and add to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and toss to make sure everything well coated.
- Bake for 20 minutes ten take out of the oven.
- Carefully remove the skins of the tomatoes. They will be hot, but the skins should peel off very easily.
- Pop back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and add to a blender.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, onion and garlic to a blender and be sure to get all the juices in there.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except basil) to a high speed blender and process until completely smooth. Add in 2 tbsp worth of basil and blend again.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and stir until well coated.
- Add in the chopped basil and mix through.
- Best served immediately but stores in the fridge for 3 days.
For the tomato sauce, you will want to use just plain tomato sauce from a can.
The sauce shouldn’t need any additional liquid because the tomatoes release a lot of juice. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a few tbsp of vegetable broth, water, or even almond milk.
Keywords: tomato basil pasta sauce, creamy vegan pasta sauce, vegan cream sauce, vegan pasta recipe