Made with fresh tomatoes, basil, and deliciously dairy free, this creamy vegan pasta sauce is simple enough for a weeknight, but decadent enough for a weekend date night in! Who doesn’t love tomato basil cream sauce?!
- 16 ounces pasta of choice
- 1 large yellow onion (about 1 1/4 cups chopped)
- 5 medium tomatoes (about 775 grams)
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce*
- 2–3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil (divided into 2x 2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Peel and chop the onion into large chunks, peel the garlic, and cut the tomatoes in half and then half again and add to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and toss to make sure everything well coated.
- Bake for 20 minutes ten take out of the oven.
- Carefully remove the skins of the tomatoes. They will be hot, but the skins should peel off very easily.
- Pop back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and add to a blender.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, onion and garlic to a blender and be sure to get all the juices in there.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except basil) to a high speed blender and process until completely smooth. Add in 2 tbsp worth of basil and blend again.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and stir until well coated.
- Add in the chopped basil and mix through.
- Best served immediately but stores in the fridge for 3 days.
For the tomato sauce, you will want to use just plain tomato sauce from a can.
The sauce shouldn’t need any additional liquid because the tomatoes release a lot of juice. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a few tbsp of vegetable broth, water, or even almond milk.
Once prepared, this recipe will store in the fridge for 5 days. To reheat it, I suggest adding to a pan on the stove with a splash of water, broth, or milk to make sure it gets nice and creamy again.
Yellow onion will yield the best flavor, but white or red onion will also work. Red onion will have a stronger flavor, but will still be delicious!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 403
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 22.5g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 10.2g
Keywords: tomato basil pasta sauce, creamy vegan pasta sauce, vegan cream sauce, vegan pasta recipe