If you need a simple but insanely flavorful pasta recipe, look no further! This vegan vodka sauce recipe is a creamy and delicious pasta recipe. It’s completely dairy free, ready in under 30 minutes.
- 16 ounces pasta of choice
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup vodka (use 1/2 cup for a slightly deeper flavor)
- two 15 ounce cans crushed, chopped or diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 heaping cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped basil (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 –1 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 cup dairy free cashew parmesan
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Add the cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water. (see notes)
- Mince the garlic, chop the onion, and add to a saute pan with the olive oil.
- Saute until lightly golden brown, about 5-10 minutes over medium/low heat.
- Reduce heat to low, pour in the vodka and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Be sure all of the liquid is absorbed before moving on to the next step.
- Add the cans of tomatoes to the mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a high speed blender or food processor. Add in the drained and rinsed cashews and all remaining ingredients aside from the basil.
- Process until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour the sauce back into the saute pan. Stir in the basil. If using the vegan parmesan cheese, stir it in and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Combine with the cooked pasta and stir until well incorporated.
- Top with extra fresh basil and enjoy!
The vegan parmesan cheese can be subbed for nutritional yeast or left out entirely.
Once prepared, this recipe will store in the fridge for about 5 days. Store in an air tight container for best results. You can heat it up on the stove with a splash of milk to make it nice and creamy.
You can use any type of vodka (I used svedka) just make sure it is unflavored.
If you don’t have a high speed blender, the cashews might not get as smooth as they would with a high speed blender, so you can sub the whole cashews for cashew butter or let them soak for at least 1 hour or ideally overnight in boiling water to help break them down and make the sauce creamy.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 482
- Fat: 28.6g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 10.4g
Keywords: vegan vodka sauce, vodka sauce, vegan pasta sauce, vodka pasta