These easy gluten free funfetti sugar cookies are soft, chewy and perfect for any celebration. They start with a simple sugar cookie base, then are rolled in sprinkles for a fun twist. Plus, they can be made dairy free!
There are very few things that brighten my day more than funfetti desserts. Cakes, cookies, cupcakes, even protein balls.
These easy gluten free funfetti cookies are incredibly soft, thick, chewy and so easy to make. They do require chilling (I know it’s annoying, but so worth it), but only take about 10 minutes of active baking time.
If you really want to take these to the next level, they’re delicious with my homemade buttercream frosting slathered on top.
I love these for birthdays or celebrations, Christmas if you use red and green sprinkles, or just a fun dessert!
How to make gluten free funfetti sugar cookies
Step 1: Cream the butter and sugar. This is always an important step when making cookies! It allows the sugar to blend right into the butter for a rich flavor and creamy texture.
Step 2: Beat in the remaining wet ingredients. This includes the egg and vanilla.
Step 3: Fold in the dry ingredients. When measuring the flour, be sure to spoon and level, don’t scoop from the bag. You will end up with more flour than you really need which will throw off the recipe.
Step 4: Fold in the sprinkles, then scoop into balls. You don’t have to roll the cookies in additional sprinkles, but it makes them way more fun!
Step 5: Chill the dough. This is SO important for this recipe. Not all cookie dough needs to be chilled, but if you don’t want the cookies to spread thin and flat, be sure to chill the dough. It also allows the flavors to blend together which is so worth it in the end.
Step 6: Bake! Just about 12-15 or so minutes, then let cool completely before eating. They’ll still be soft when they come out of the oven.
Should I add sprinkles before or after baking?
Definitely before! If you add the sprinkles to the cookies after baking, they won’t actually stick. We’re going to first add them both to the dough and stir them in like you would in chocolate chips.
However, what really makes these gluten free funfetti cookies extra fun is rolling the dough in extra sprinkles. I like using nonpareils, but regular sprinkles also work! Whatever you have on hand will be just fine.
Make them vegan!
I have not tested sugar cookies these without the egg, but because there is only one, I think that will work just fine. I recommend subbing the egg for either 1/4 cup of apple sauce, a flax egg, or a store bought egg replacer.
Frequently asked questions
Can I freeze the dough?
Yes! However, you still want to chill the dough first. Once the dough has chilled, you can add the balls to a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 1 month.
You can bake right from frozen, but decrease the oven temperature to 325 and add a few extra minutes to the time to account for the frozen dough.
What does cornstarch do in cookies?
I wanted these funfetti cookies to be fairly thick, which is what the cornstarch will help with. It will give the cookies a really chewy and tender texture, as well as prevent them from spreading too much while baking.
How should I store gluten free cookies?
For best results, store these cookies in an air tight container once they have fully cooled. They will keep for 3-5 days but are best within the first 48 hours.
Try these cookies next!
If you want more recipes straight to your inbox, be sure to subscribe to my email list. If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram and leave a comment below!
Gluten Free Funfetti Sugar Cookies
by: claire cary
- ½ cup butter dairy free or regular
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free all purpose baking flour
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sprinkles plus more for rolling
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl and add to the microwave for 15-20 seconds. It should be softened, but not melted. Alternatively, leave at room temperature for about an hour.
- Add in the sugar and beat with an electric mixer for about 1 minute.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg.
- Beat in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt, making sure to spoon and level the flour, don't scoop right from the bag.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Scoop the dough into balls using about a 2 tablespoon scoop, and roll in sprinkles. Lightly press the sprinkles in, then re-roll into a ball if needed.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and gently press down on the tops of the cookies.
- Set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. They will still be soft when they come out of the oven, but will firm up as they cool.
- Let cool completely, then enjoy!
These are sooo good! Easy to make and delicious! They taste like bakery cookies for sure!!
Claire Cary says
The best compliment!