Gluten free & so delicious, these healthy vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe is (almond) milks new favorite cookie. Made with simple ingredients and ready to devour in 20 minutes!
I introduce you to the most perfect chocolate chip cookies. Like these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, this recipe is refined sugar free, vegan AND gluten free! But before I make them sound disgusting, let me tell you they are DELICIOUS.
They’re soft & chewy with a slightly crispy edge, perfectly sweet and with just the right amount of chocolate.
I will never understand the desire for crunchy cookies… I’m team chewy cookie until the day I die.
How to make the best vegan chocolate chip cookies
This recipe is REAL simple folks. To start, you’ll need to combine the coconut sugar, softened coconut oil, and apple sauce to a bowl and beat with an electric mixer. You’ll end up with a tasty looking mixture pictured above on the left.
Next, add in the almond milk and vanilla and beat again. Add in all of the remaining ingredients aside from the chocolate chips and beat until a dough forms.
Lastly, carefully fold in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon or spatula and mix until well combined. Scoop out about 1 1/2 inch of dough, roll into a ball and add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press the dough down with your hands lightly.
The cookies will spread a bit while baking, but not considerably. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes for a soft and chewy cookie. Get ready to eat the whole batch in .5 seconds!!
What is the best gluten free flour to bake with?
Making gluten free cookies is a lot easier than one may think. In this recipe, we don’t need any xanthan gum, extra starch or any other ingredients commonly found in gluten free baking.
Can you freeze vegan cookie dough?
The best part about vegan baking is that you get to eat as much of the dough as your heart desires. I always crave a little something sweet after dinner, but don’t always feel like making a fresh batch of cookies.
To make life easier, you can make a double or triple batch of this recipe, roll it in plastic wrap, add it to a zip-lock bag, and freeze it for up to about 3 months. When you’re ready to bake it, just let the dough thaw in the fridge overnight and bake it as usual in the morning.
A few final thoughts…
- Once baked, these cookies will last for about 1-2 weeks stored in an air tight container at room temperature. Be sure to let them cool completely before storing.
- If you don’t have oat flour, you can process 1 cup of oats in a blender or food processor until a fine flour forms. Easy!
- These chocolate chip cookies will continue to harden as they cool. Let them sit on the baking sheet for at least 30 minutes before moving.
- For a soft and chewy cookie (my preference) bake for 12-15 minutes (oven depending) or 15-18 minutes for a crispy cookie.
Try these other gluten free desserts next!
- Cake Batter Protein Energy Balls
- Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Paleo Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cookies
Lastly, if you try this healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe, leave a comment below and let me know how it turned out! Be sure to follow me on instagram for more recipes and daily eats!Print
These vegan chocolate chip cookies are gluten free and so delicious!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the softened coconut oil (but not melted), coconut sugar, and applesauce to a bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until you get a nice paste.
- Add in the vanilla and plant milk and beat again.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and beat until a dough forms.
- Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold in the chocolate chips.
- Place in the fridge for about 10 minutes to let the dough set.
- Form into 1 – 1 1/2 inch balls, press lightly to flatten with your fingers, and place on a cookie sheet with enough space in between.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (soft & chewy) or 15-18 minutes (crispy) or until the edges are golden brown. They will continue to harden as they cool.
I like to use this cookie scoop to scoop the cookies into perfect circles.
Once baked, these cookies will store in an air tight container for about 1 week.
Be sure to use softened coconut oil, but not completely melted. To soften the coconut oil, add to a microwave for about 5-10 seconds.
To make sure there is no coconut flavor to the cookies, I recommend using refined coconut oil.
I like using mini chocolate chips for this recipe, but any will work.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, vegan chocolate chip cookies, healthy chocolate chip cookies