These mini chocolate chip muffins are the perfect one bite snack recipe! They’re made in one bowl with simple pantry staple ingredients. They’re gluten free and can easily be made dairy free!
I’m kind of obsessed with anything in mini form. I’m also obsessed with muffins so these mini chocolate chip muffins are truly the perfect recipe.
I always had some Entenmenn’s Little Bites muffins (or Little Debbie) in my lunch box at school, so this recipe gives me all the nostalgic feels.
Of course, this is a gluten free spin on the childhood classic, and can also be made dairy free and refined sugar free. The batter is made in just one bowl and takes all of 5 minutes to whip up.
They’re the perfect snack for kids and adults and can be made with chocolate chips or blueberries. The bake time is under 15 minutes, so they’re great when you need something to eat ASAP!
If you love this recipe, try my peanut butter oat flour muffins next!
How to make mini muffins
MIX WET. Whisk together all wet ingredients until smooth.
WHISK DRY. Add in the dry ingredients, aside from the chocolate chips, until a smooth batter forms. Be sure to spoon and level the flour, don’t scoop right from the bag.
Fold in the chocolate chips. Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
REST BATTER. While the oven is preheating, let the batter rest for about 15 minutes. This will help them rise a bit more when baking.
BAKE. When the oven is ready, scoop the muffins into a 24 cavity lined mini muffin tin. Top with additional chocolate chips.
Bake for 11-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the tray and enjoy!
Ingredients & substitutions
FLOUR. I used gluten free all purpose flour to keep these mini muffins gluten free, but regular all purpose will also work if you are not GF. I do not recommend other types of flour such as almond, oat or coconut.
GREEK YOGURT. The yogurt in this recipe helps to keep the muffins moist. You can sub for sour cream and use dairy free or regular yogurt.
I don’t recommend regular yogurt (non-Greek) as it is more thin and liquidy and will change the texture of the muffins.
SUGAR. I used light brown sugar to give these a richer flavor, but any kind of sugar will work. You can use coconut sugar to make them refined sugar free, but keep in mind the color will be darker than pictured.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS. I recommend mini chocolate chips, but whatever you have will be fine. I like semi-sweet for the best flavor!
How to store and freeze
Once prepared, these mini chocolate chip muffins will keep for about 3 days in a container kept at room temperature or up to 5 days in the fridge. You can reheat them in the microwave to help the chocolate melt again.
have not tried this myself, but you should be able to freeze just fine! Let them cool completely, then transfer to a freezer safe bag and freeze for 1-2 months. Let them thaw or reheat in the oven until warm through the center.
Sub for blueberries!
Yes! I suggest wild blueberries if you have access to them since they are smaller and work better with mini muffins!
You’ll also love…
Lastly, if you want more recipes straight to your inbox, be sure to subscribe to my email list. As always, tag me on instagram if you make this recipe so I can see your creation!
Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
by: claire cary
- 1 egg room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter measured when melted, not solid
- 6 tablespoons room temperature greek yogurt dairy free* or regular
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour sub regular if not GF
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Whisk together all wet ingredients until smooth.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients, aside from the chocolate chips, until a smooth batter forms. Be sure to spoon and level the flour, don't scoop right from the bag.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- While the oven is preheating, let the batter rest for about 15 minutes. This will help them rise a bit more when baking.
- When the oven is ready, scoop the muffins into a 24 cavity lined mini muffin tin. Top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the tray and enjoy!
please let me know how to prepare gluten free flour. Many thanks in advance.
Claire Cary says
Just buy in the store! I like Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour.
Would almond flour work?
Claire Cary says
No, generally, almond flour is not a safe sub for all purpose flour.