This roasted red pepper spicy vodka pasta is rich, creamy and so easy to make. It’s vegan friendly, ready in about 30 minutes and healthy comfort food at its finest!
Why you’ll love this recipe
My vegan vodka pasta and roasted red pepper pasta are among my most popular recipes on the blog, so I decided to finally combine the two! It’s a slightly fancier (but still very easy) on the very popular Gigi Hadid Pasta, but can easily be adapted to be made vegan.
This recipe is ready in about 30 minutes, perfect for a crowd, date night or just a simple and flavorful dinner. It’s healthy, vegan friendly, gluten free and bound to impress your friends.
In order to help spice this pasta up, we’ll be using a generous serving of red pepper flakes which add just the right amount of kick. Feel free to add more or less depending on your preferences!
Soak the cashews. Add the cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside.
Cook pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
Saute garlic and onion. This will bring out lots of flavor for this vodka sauce. Pour in the vodka and simmer until the liquid has cooked off.
Add in the tomato paste and saute for a couple minutes to strengthen the flavor.
Blend cashews. Drain and rinse the cashews and add to a blender. Blend with 2/3 cup of water.
Blend all ingredients. Add the onion mixture to the blender along with all remaining ingredients. Blend until completely smooth, adding a bit more water as needed to thin out if desired.
Serve. Taste and adjust flavors as desired. Pour on top of your cooked pasta and stir to combine. Top with fresh basil and enjoy!
Can you taste the vodka?
No! The alcohol will completely cook off and the vodka will simply enhance the other flavors in the sauce.
This spicy vodka pasta tastes like a traditional tomato pasta meets a roasted red pepper pasta, with plenty of onion, garlic and also a lot of spice.
You will not get drunk off of vodka sauce and you can definitely feed it to your kids. All of the alcohol will cook off when we saute it with the onion and garlic.
Frequently asked questions
How should I store this spicy pasta?
This sauce will keep well whether you mix it with the pasta and store it that way, or store it on its own. If you store it with the pasta, it will keep for about 3 days in the fridge.
However, you can also freeze the sauce on its own. It will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month, just let it defrost before adding it to fresh cooked pasta!
Can I make it vegan?
Yes! I already planned this vodka sauce to be mostly vegan, all you have to do is use cashew parmesan in place of vegan parmesan. You can also use any kind of store bought parmesan if you prefer.
What pasta shape is best?
Penne alla vodka is the most traditional, but I love using rigatoni, spaghetti or whatever I happen to have on hand! You really can’t go wrong here. I used gluten free pasta, but anything works.
More pasta recipes to try!
Spicy Red Pepper Vodka Pasta
by: claire cary
- 1 pound uncooked pasta
- ⅔ cup raw cashews
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ⅔ cup vodka
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 4 large roasted red peppers from a 16 ounce jar (there are usually 5 in there)
- 2/3-1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ½ cup parmesan or vegan parmesan
- Add the cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Add the diced onion to a pan with half of the oil and saute until translucent and lightly browned.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 2-3 more minutes.
- Pour in the vodka and simmer until the liquid has cooked off.
- Add in the tomato paste and saute for a couple minutes to strengthen the flavor.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and add to a blender. Blend with 2/3 cup of water.
- Add the onion mixture to the blender along with all remaining ingredients.
- Blend until completely smooth, adding a bit more water as needed to thin out if desired.
- Taste and adjust flavors as desired. Pour on top of your cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Top with fresh basil and enjoy!