This cashew parmesan is easy to make, delicious, and can be sprinkled on any savory dish! It’s perfect on pasta, salads, and pizza!
I used to be a major cheese lover. Cheese and crackers, pizza, cheese all over my pasta, and just straight up cheese. Until I realized dairy was heavily contributing to my breakouts and I swore off dairy for good. Well, at least for the most part 😉
I always loved a sprinkle of parmesan on pasta, especially spaghetti, and struggled to find an alternative when I ditched dairy. Well ladies and gents, this cashew parmesan is easy, savory, perfectly salty and sprinkles perfectly on any pasta dish.
How to make vegan cashew parmesan
To make the vegan parmesan that goes in this sauce, you will need cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder. If you have a nut allergy, you can sub the cashews for sunflower seeds or even hemp hearts! All you need to do is add 1 cup cashews, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp garlic, and 1 tsp sea salt into a food processor and process until a fine powder forms. It should be light and almost powdery like regular parmesan.
What is nutritional yeast and is it good for you?
The star of this recipe is definitely the nutritional yeast. It’s going to give the parmesan that cheesey flavor we love AND it adds a host of B vitamins and protein as well (source). Nutritional yeast is not the same as baker’s yeast, so it isn’t going to make anything rise, the yeast cells are not alive, and I promise it’s not as scary as it sounds! It adds a great flavor to almost any savory dish and is completely vegan.
A few notes on this cashew parmesan
- This recipe will store in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Keep it in an air tight container or sealed mason jar for best results.
- I like using cashews for this recipe because they have a neutral flavor and keep the color looking like parmesan, but you can also use almonds or even sunflower seeds for this recipe.
- I highly recommend using a food processor to make this recipe, but a high speed blender will also work if you have one!
- I love using this recipe in pesto, mac and cheese, but it’s also delicious sprinkled on top of my kale caesar salad!
Try sprinkling this cashew parmesan on these delicious pasta recipes!
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 20 minute hemp & lemon pesto pasta
- Life changing vegan tomato basil cream sauce
Lastly, if you make this cashew parmesan, leave a comment below and let me know how it turned out! Be sure to follow me on instagram for more recipes and daily eats!Print
This cashew parmesan is easy and can be sprinkled on any savory dish!
- Add all ingredients to a food processor.
- Process until completely broken up and a fine powder forms.
- Taste and add more salt, garlic or pepper if desired.
This cashew parmesan will store in the fridge in an air tight container for about 2 weeks.
Keywords: cashew parmesan, dairy free parmesan, homemade parmesan, parmesan cheese