This sweet potato black bean vegan burrito bowl is the ultimate dinner for a flavorful weeknight meal and is perfect for meal prep! It’s loaded with flavor, naturally gluten free and made ultra delicious with a spicy tahini dressing.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you buy any products through those links. I only link to products I absolutely love and use myself! Thank you for making Eat With Clarity possible!
Perfectly roasted sweet potatoes, warm black beans, caramelized onions, cilantro lime rice, creamy avocado, all smothered in a spicy tahini dressing. I mean, how good does that sound?!
I know you all love my other buddha bowl style recipes like my sesame chickpeas, sweet potato chickpea buddha bowl, and orange chickpeas so I know you’re going to love this recipe. Seriously can’t wait for you to try it!
It’s the perfect recipe for meal prep since it stores really well in the fridge. Plus, it’s loaded with flavor, vegan, gluten free, and maybe one of my favorite burrito bowl recipes to date!
Peel the sweet potato and chop into large chunks. You can keep the skin on if you like, but I prefer the texture without.
Add to a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil, paprika, garlic and salt. Add to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Slice the onion and peppers into thin strips and add to the baking tray.
Drizzle on top the final tbsp of olive oil to the onion and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
During the final 5 minutes, drain the black beans but do not rinse. Add to a pan with 1 tsp chili powder, salt to taste and saute to make them warm.
Remove the veggies from the oven and assemble your bowls with a bed of rice. Top with the roasted veggies, black beans, corn, avocado.
Whisk all of the ingredients for the dressing together and drizzle on top of the bowls.
How to assemble
To be honest, the whole toss and dump method works really well for burrito bowls. Once all of the ingredients are ready to go, just add as much as you want into a bowl and call it a day!
OR, if you want to get fancy and make it pretty, try this. First, start with a bed of the cilantro lime rice. On top of the rice, go around the bowl adding each different ‘topping’ to one section of the bowl until you get all around the bowl.
I like to finish off with the avocado, and a generous drizzle of the spicy tahini dressing or even my cashew queso. Fresh lime juice and extra cilantro are delicious on top.
Do you serve this recipe hot or cold?
I highly suggest serving this vegan burrito bowl warm, but it would still be delicious cold! If you’re serving it cold, I’d suggest making it more of a burrito salad. Is that a thing? Well, it is now! I guess maybe kind of like a taco salad? Honestly, I don’t know the difference.
If serving warm, I like using cilantro lime rice as the base of the recipe and layering on all of the other ingredients on top. I usually then drizzle on the dressing and mix everything up so the flavors are well combined.
Tips & Tricks!
- Once prepared, this recipe will store in the fridge for 5 days. It reheats really well, just toss everything in a pan on the stove or into the microwave until warm.
- The level of spice for this bowl is totally up to you. We all know I’m very sensitive to spice, so the recipe as written isn’t too spicy. Feel free to add extra hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes as desired.
- The great thing about vegan burrito bowls like this is that they totally customizable. You can add in some salsa, leave out the corn, throw in some baked tofu or crispy lettuce, it’s totally up to you!
- Both the red onion and red bell peppers can be subbed for other color onions/peppers, but the red ones have the most flavor when baked which is why I like to use them!
- How much water you need to add to the tahini dressing will depend on the consistency/brand of your tahini as well as how thick/thin you want it to be. The dressing will thicken a bit as it sits, so keep that in mind.
Try these next!
- Easy Vegan Chana Masala
- Easy Stovetop Bean and Lentil Chili
- Chipotle Sofritas Tofu
- General Tso’s Chickpea Stir Fry
- Spicy Baked Tofu Burrito Bowl
Vegan Sweet Potato Burrito Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the sweet potato and chop into large chunks.
- Add to a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil, paprika, garlic and salt.
- Add to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Slice the onion and peppers into thin strips and add to the baking tray.
- Drizzle on top the final tbsp of olive oil to the onion and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- During the final 5 minutes, drain the black beans but do not rinse.
- Add to a pan with 1 tsp chili powder, salt to taste and saute to make them warm.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and assemble your bowls with a bed of rice.
- Top with the roasted veggies, black beans, corn, avocado.
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the dressing together and drizzle on top of the bowls.