This sweet potato black bean vegan burrito bowl is the ultimate dinner for a flavorful weeknight meal and is perfect for meal prep! It’s loaded with flavor, naturally gluten free and made ultra delicious with a spicy tahini dressing or chipotle aioli.
Perfectly roasted sweet potatoes, warm black beans, caramelized onions, cilantro lime rice, creamy avocado, all smothered in a spicy tahini dressing. I mean, how good does that sound?!
I know you all love my other buddha bowl style recipes like my sesame chickpeas, sweet potato chickpea buddha bowl, and orange chickpeas so I know you’re going to love this recipe. Seriously can’t wait for you to try it!
It’s the perfect recipe for meal prep since it stores really well in the fridge. Plus, it’s loaded with flavor, vegan, gluten free, and maybe one of my favorite burrito bowl recipes to date!
It takes a bit of prep, so if you’re looking for something quicker, try my 20 minute burrito bowls!
Burrito bowl ingredients
Rice. My cilantro lime rice adds so much flavor to this recipe and make it taste like Chipotle!
Beans. Since there is no meat in this recipe, black beans will be our source of protein! You can definitely add in some tofu or chicken if you want a protein boost.
Sweet Potato. We’ll roast up some sweet potato with spices until soft on the inside and a bit crisp on the outside.
Veggies. Bell peppers and onions will be roasted and add so much flavor to this vegan burrito bowl! I love red bell peppers, but any color works.
Dressing. This recipe features a simple tahini dressing, but if you want to mix it up, you can use my chipotle aioli instead!
How to make a burrito bowl
First, peel the sweet potato and chop into large chunks. You can keep the skin on if you like, but I prefer the texture without.
Add to a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil, paprika, garlic and salt. Add to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Slice the onion and peppers into thin strips and add to the baking tray.
Drizzle on top the final tbsp of olive oil to the onion and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
During the final 5 minutes, drain the black beans but do not rinse. Add to a pan with 1 tsp chili powder, salt to taste and saute to make them warm.
Remove the veggies from the oven and assemble your bowls with a bed of rice. Top with the roasted veggies, black beans, corn, avocado.
Whisk all of the ingredients for the dressing together and drizzle on top of the bowls.
Do you serve this recipe hot or cold?
I highly suggest serving this vegan burrito bowl warm, but it would still be delicious cold! If you’re serving it cold, I’d suggest making it more of a burrito salad. Is that a thing? Well, it is now! I guess maybe kind of like a taco salad? Honestly, I don’t know the difference.
I usually then drizzle on the dressing and mix everything up so the flavors are well combined.
How to store
Once prepared, this recipe will store in the fridge for 5 days. It reheats really well, just toss everything in a pan on the stove or into the microwave until warm.
Make it your own!
Spice: The level of spice for this bowl is totally up to you. We all know I’m very sensitive to spice, so the recipe as written isn’t too spicy. Feel free to add extra hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes as desired.
Use other veggies: Feel free to add in some romaine lettuce, other peppers or even roasted cauliflower. Both the red onion and red bell peppers can be subbed for other color onions/peppers, but the red ones have the most flavor when baked which is why I like to use them!
Dressing: How much water you need to add to the tahini dressing will depend on the consistency/brand of your tahini as well as how thick/thin you want it to be. The dressing will thicken a bit as it sits, so keep that in mind.
The great thing about vegan burrito bowls like this is that they totally customizable. You can add in some salsa, leave out the corn, throw in some baked tofu or crispy lettuce, use cauliflower rice, it’s totally up to you!
Try these next!
- Easy Vegan Chana Masala
- Easy Stovetop Bean and Lentil Chili
- Chipotle Sofritas Tofu
- General Tso’s Chickpea Stir Fry
- Spicy Baked Tofu Burrito Bowl
Vegan Sweet Potato Burrito Bowl
by: claire cary
- ½ batch cilantro lime rice or mexican cauliflower rice
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 smaller
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tsp Mexican chili powder can sub for regular chili powder
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup cooked corn I like fire roasted
- 1 avocado
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the sweet potato and chop into large chunks.
- Add to a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil, paprika, garlic and salt.
- Add to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Slice the onion and peppers into thin strips and add to the baking tray.
- Drizzle on top the final tbsp of olive oil to the onion and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- During the final 5 minutes, drain the black beans but do not rinse.
- Add to a pan with 1 tsp chili powder, salt to taste and saute to make them warm.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and assemble your bowls with a bed of rice.
- Top with the roasted veggies, black beans, corn, avocado.
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the dressing together and drizzle on top of the bowls. Enjoy!