This Apple Arugula Salad is the perfect addition to a Fall dinner or just as a yummy lunch! It’s bursting with flavor from onions, crisp apples, and candied pecans. Topped with an easy vinaigrette for a simple 10 minute dish!
I know it’s September and all, but this apple arugula salad makes me excited for Thanksgiving. But then again, all of my Fall Recipes do! This vegan roasted butternut squash soup is just begging to be served to your hungry guests.
This kale and apple salad with maple tahini dressing is a steep competitor for this apple arugula salad. I guess you’ll just have to try them both to see which is your favorite?!
How to make candied pecans
There are a few ways to do this, but I opted for the easy way and the healthier way. To make candied pecans, all you need to do is add coconut sugar, water, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt to a pan and bring to a low boil.
The sugar will melt and you’ll end up with a liquidy mixture that not only tastes delicious but smells like heaven.
Once the mixture is melted, add in the pecans and give them a good stir so they get all sugary. Make sure the heat is on low so nothing burns, and allow the sugar to thicken around the pecans, stirring occasionally.
This should only take about 5 minutes. Once all of the liquid is thickened, stir the pecans to make sure they are well coated, and then transfer them to a large bowl so they don’t all stick together or to the pan. Now we’ll assemble the rest of the salad.
Putting it all together
Salads are the best because you basically just throw a bunch of ingredients into a bowl and call it a day! For this one, you’ll want to add the arugula to a large bowl, add the sliced onion, apple, pecans and dried cranberries.
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour on top just before serving. Easy!
It’s fresh, delicious, and arugula is a great leafy green that adds a slight peppery flavor and pairs really well with the crisp apples, onions, and sweet pecans. The perfect Fall salad if you ask me!
It’s great as a side dish for your main entree, or add some grilled chicken for a simple and quick meal.
Recipe tips, tricks and notes
- I like to slice the apples and onion very very thin, so I use a mandoline slicer to do so. I put it on one of the lower settings and slice so I get very thin strips. You are welcome to slice or chop any way you like!
- This salad is extra delicious with a generous serving of freshly cracked black pepper on top.
- If you are not going to be serving this salad right away, I suggest storing the dressing separately so the salad does not get soggy.
- For a lighter and low sugar version, use regular pecans and not candied pecans.
- The salad and dressing will store in the fridge for 3-5 days, separately.
- You can use any variety of apple for this recipe, I personally used one granny smith apple and one honey crisp apple. I suggest using crispy apples and not mealy apples.
Try these simple recipes next
- Kale and Quinoa Salad With Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Kale Caesar Salad with Crispy Garlic Chickpeas
- Spinach Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale Salad
Apple Arugula Salad with Candied Pecans
- 7 cups arugula
- 2 medium apples
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Add the coconut sugar, water, salt and cinnamon to a saute pan and bring to a low boil.
- Add the pecans and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the pecans are well coated and no extra liquid remains.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Use a mandolin or knife to thinly slice the onion and apples.
- Add the arugula to a large bowl with the apples, onion, dried cranberries and pecans.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or container.
- Pour the dressing over the salad when you are ready to serve.