This smashed chickpea avocado salad is an easy and delicious lunch you can bring to work, school, or the beach! It takes 5 minutes to prepare, requires no fancy equipment and is made with just six simple ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you buy any products through those links. I only link to products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for making Eat With Clarity possible!
Well, here we are. Where did summer go?! I swear every year just goes by faster than the next and it freaks me out a wee bit!!
As much as I’ll miss the warmth of summer, I am quite excited for all things Fall- I see you pumpkin spice everything!! Get ready for all the Fall recipes, I have SO many good ones coming your way in the coming weeks.
Anyway, like this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad, the beauty of this recipe is that it’s perfect for your last few beach trips of the summer, back to school, work, or if you just want a simple lunch to power you through whatever you’re doing.
It’s made with only 6 simple ingredients you probably already have on hand and can be enjoyed on its own, in a sandwich as is or with deli meats, in a wrap, basically whatever you can think of!
Ingredients for avocado chickpea salad
This chickpea salad is made with just a handful of simple of ingredient, most of which you probably already have in your pantry! For this recipe you’ll need:
- Chickpeas: Because chickpea salad, duh! We’ll be mashing them up with the avocado to give a texture almost like chicken or tuna salad.
- Avocado: For creaminess and to keep the recipe moist. Be sure to use a ripe avocado so it can mash easily.
- Red onion: For flavor a bit of crunch. Any color onion will work, but red onion adds the best flavor.
- Lemon or lime: For flavor and to naturally preserve the avocado and prevent it from turning brown.
- Garlic: Let’s be real I put garlic in everything. Because this recipe is so simple and made with minimal ingredients, the garlic helps add a lot of flavor.
- Salt & pepper: For extra flavor.
- Cilantro: This is optional but it adds a great flavor.
How to make this recipe
This chickpea salad can be made a few ways. If you don’t have a food processor, don’t worry, this can be done without any fancy equipment at all.
- By hand: To make this recipe by hand, start by adding the avocado flesh to a bowl and mash it very well. Add in the chickpeas and mash until you get smaller chunks. You can use a fork or a potato masher for this step. Next, add in all remaining ingredients and mix well. Taste and add extra salt, pepper, garlic or cilantro if desired.
- With a food processor: Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas with the avocado to a food processor. Process until broken up but a few chickpea chunks still remain. Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well, taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
Recipe tips & tricks
- Once prepared, this chickpea salad will store in the fridge for about 5 days. The lemon/lime acts as a natural preservative and should help prevent the avocado from browning prematurely.
- You can serve this chickpea salad as a sandwich with some lettuce and extra avocado, in a wrap, or just as is! It’s one versatile salad.
- You don’t need to cook canned chickpeas. They have already been cooked, you just need to drain and rinse them! If you want to use chickpeas that have already been cooked from dry, just sub every 1 can for 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas.
- If you want the texture of this chickpea salad to be ultra perfect, I suggest removing the chickpea skins before processing/mashing. It can be a tedious task, but if you add the chickpeas between two kitchen towels and rub them around, a lot of the skins should come off on their own.
Check out these recipes!
- Mashed Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Salad Sandwich (Vegan)
- Rainbow Veggie Collard Wraps with Tahini Dressing
- Mexican Three Bean Salad
- Avocado and Edamame Hummus
Smashed Avocado Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 1/2 large ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- Juice from 1 lemon or lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Optional but recommended: 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas until no bubbles remain.
- Add the chickpeas and the avocado to a food processor and pulse until broken up. OR add the avocado to a large bowl and mash completely, add the chickpeas and mash with a fork until broken up.
- Transfer to a bowl or keep in the bowl and add all remaining ingredients.
- Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve as is or in a sandwich or wrap.