This vegetarian sushi bowl and sesame tofu recipe is a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Crispy, delicious, loaded with plant protein and sesame goodness.
If the thought of tofu makes you squirm and think of bland blocks of mush, think again!! This sesame tofu is crispy, PACKED with flavor and ready in just 10 minutes. This is what Tuesday night (or any night really) dinner dreams are made of.
Sushi bowls are a lazy gal’s go to dinner. I mean who doesn’t love sushi? But who wants to spend extra time delicately rolling your filling into a piece of seaweed only to have everything fall apart?! Not I!!! So it’s sushi bowls to the rescue. They’re everything you would want in sushi, only put in a bowl instead. I like to top mine with some chopped nori to give the ultimate sushi feel.
How to make crispy tofu
More often than not, super crispy tofu is deep fried. I didn’t want to go that route, so I’ve come up with an easy pan fried method that makes the ultimate crispy sesame tofu.
- Take a block of extra firm tofu and remove it from the package. Drain off any excess liquid and place the tofu between a kitchen towel or a few paper towels.
- Since most of us don’t have a tofu press, I like to take a tea pot filled with water or a couple of heavy books to press the excess liquid out of the tofu. You ideally want to do this for about 30 minutes, but even just 10 minutes will help the tofu firm up and get extra crispy.
- Chop the tofu into small cubes and add to a bowl.
- Toss the tofu in the arrowroot powder/starch until each piece is well coated. You can also sub for corn starch.
- Add the tofu to a pan with a small amount of avocado oil and let cook on each side until golden brown. The secret here is to not touch the tofu while it’s cooking on each side to make sure it gets ultra crispy.
- Once every side is golden, add in the sauce and simmer over low heat to let the sauce thicken.
- After a few minutes, stir the tofu in the sauce to make sure everything is well coated.
A few notes on this sesame tofu recipe
- It’s important you use a high quality toasted sesame oil. Not all sesame oils are created equal, but this one has never let me down!
- Once prepared, the tofu should store in the fridge for about 3 days. Keep it in an air tight container for best results.
- If you want to make a big batch of the sauce to use with chicken, chickpeas, or other stir fries, it will keep in the fridge for about 1 week in an air tight container.
- I tried to go along a traditional sushi bowl theme with the veggies, but you can use whatever you like! Some of my favorites include carrots, cabbage, cucumber, scallions, radishes, or even some broccoli.
Try these other easy and high protein dinner recipes next!
Lastly, if you make this sesame tofu, don’t forget to tag me on instagram so I can see your creation! Leave a comment and rating below and let me know how they turn out!Print
Easy, crispy, delicious, this sesame tofu is the perfect weeknight dinner!
For the bowl:
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 2 large carrots, grated, peeled, or chopped
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
For the tofu:
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain excess liquid. Press it between a towel using a hard object (tea pot or books work well) for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Add the cubed tofu to a bowl and toss with 2 tbsp of arrowroot starch. Make sure it is well coated.
- Add to a pan with 1 tbsp avocado oil and cook over low heat.
- Cook until the bottom is golden brown and crispy, then flip and cook on each side. *DO NOT touch the tofu when it is crisping if you want to make sure it actually gets crispy!*
- Meanwhile, whisk together the vegetable broth and arrowroot until no clumps remain. Whisk in the sesame oil, maple syrup, minced garlic and ginger.
- When each side of the tofu is crispy, pour the sauce into the pan and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer to let the sauce thicken. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Assemble the bowls by adding a base of rice, then top with veggies, tofu, avocado and sesame seeds and enjoy!
The vegetables are merely suggestions, feel free to sub for your personal favorites!
Keywords: sushi bowl, vegetarian sushi bowl, sesame tofu, crispy tofu recipe