Creamy, rich, and deliciously dairy free, this is the BEST vegan mac and cheese that even gets melty and stringy like traditional mac and cheese. You don’t want to miss this one!
What is vegan mac and cheese made of?
Believe it or not, you can make vegan mac and cheese out of a LOT of things! Some will have non-dairy cheese alternatives, some will have cashews, or even cauliflower, but I opted to make a much simpler version. For this recipe you will need:
- Almond milk
- Olive oil
- Roasted garlic
- Raw garlic
- Arrowroot powder
- Nutritional yeast
- Homemade Vegan Parmesan
- A smidge of paprika and mustard powder
- Salt & pepper
This recipe does have a lot of steps, but don’t be intimidated!! It’s only because it includes roasting the garlic and making the vegan parmesan. Not including these two steps, this recipe will only take about 15 minutes to make. All it involves is roasting the garlic-easy. Cooking the pasta-easy. Sautéing more garlic (I like garlic ok?!)-easy. Making the vegan parmesan-easy. And then adding all of the sauce ingredients to a blender until nice and smooth-easiest.
How to make vegan parmesan
To make the vegan parmesan that goes in this sauce, you will need cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder. If you have a nut allergy, you can sub the cashews for sunflower seeds or even hemp hearts! All you need to do is add all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until a fine powder forms. It should be light and almost powdery like regular parmesan.
What goes well with vegan mac and cheese?
If you’re trying to add more veggies into your diet, peas, broccoli, and green beans are all delicious with mac and cheese! You can stir them right into the sauce, or have them on the side.
Try these other dairy free pasta recipes next!
- 20 minute hemp and lemon pesto pasta
- Life changing vegan tomato basil cream sauce
- Asparagus pasta salad with creamy lemon dressing
- Creamy white bean pasta sauce
Rich, creamy, and so easy to make, this is a dairy free mac and cheese you don’t want to miss!
- 16 ounces pasta of choice
- 1 head + 6 cloves garlic
- 2.5 cups unsweetened and unflavored almond milk
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) olive oil
- 5 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp black or white pepper
- 1/3 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- Pinch of paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the whole clove of garlic and cut off the top part so you can see the inside of each clove.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil, wrap in foil, and place in the oven.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- During the final 10 minutes, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Make the vegan parmesan by processing 1 cup cashews, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp garlic, and 1/4 tsp sea salt in a food processor until a fine powder forms.
- Peel and mince the other 6 cloves of garlic and saute with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- When the garlic starts to brown, add the almond milk and the arrowroot powder.
- Let simmer on low heat until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken slightly.
- Add the mixture to a blender with 1/2 cup of vegan parmesan, 1/4 cup of the nutritional yeast, and all remaining ingredients including the roasted garlic. If you squeeze the bottom of the garlic, the inside should just squeeze out right into the blender. Try to avoid getting any of the skin in there.
- Process the mixture until completely smooth.
- Add back to the saute pan and add the remaining bit (3 tbsp) of nutritional yeast.
- Stir on low heat until it starts to thicken. After 5-10 minutes the mixture should be very thick and cheesy. If it does not thicken, add an additional tsp of arrowroot.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Add the cooked pasta into the sauce and stir until well coated.
- Serve immediately.
To make the vegan parmesan, combine 1 cup cashews, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp garlic and 1/4 tsp sea salt in a food processor and process until you get a fine powder.
Keywords: mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese, best vegan mac and cheese, gluten free mac and cheese