This roasted red pepper and carrot pasta is rich, creamy and packs a generous dose of veggies in every serving! This simple pasta is vegan friendly, incredibly easy to make and even kid approved.
If you’ve tried any of my other pasta recipes, you probably know I love adding veggies into pasta sauces because you truly can’t taste them.
Ok, this carrot pasta sauce does have a carrot taste, but also hints of red pepper, tomato and cheesiness from the parmesan. Carrots are often found in bolognese and other Italian pasta sauces, but it’s the star of the show in this recipe!
When you think of carrot pasta, you might think of carrot noodles, kind of like zucchini noodles, but more like carrot spaghetti.
You can definitely do that, use a spiralizer to make carrot noodles, but this recipe is all about how to make a carrot sauce for pasta!
We’ll be roasting the carrots, bell peppers and red onion, then blending that all up with some milk, parmesan, spices and tomato paste.
This simple vegan pasta recipe is easy to make, and although it does take a bit of time to cook, most of the time is just the veggies roasting in the oven, so it’s very hands off!
How to make carrot pasta
Step 1: Chop the bell peppers, peel and chop the carrots and chop the red onion. Add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with one tablespoon of the oil. Roast for 40 minutes or until fork tender.
Step 2: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Be sure to generous salt the water for the best flavor!
Step 3: Meanwhile, saute the minced garlic in a pot with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Saute just until golden brown.
Step 4: When the veggies are done, add to a blender with the milk, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and tomato paste.
Step 5: Blend until completely smooth. Transfer to the pot with the garlic and stir in the parmesan. Whisk together and heat over low heat.
Step 6: Combine with the cooked pasta, taste and adjust flavors as desired. I often add more red pepper flakes for spice, more salt or more parmesan. Serve warm and enjoy!
Make it vegan!
I used regular parmesan cheese in this recipe, but you can easily make it vegan by either subbing for my vegan cashew parmesan or using a store bought vegan parmesan.
I opted against using cashews in this recipe to make a really rich and creamy sauce, but you are welcome to add in 1/2 cup of soaked cashews to the sauce.
You will need to add more milk if you do this to help thin it out a bit, but cashews are a great way to make a vegan pasta sauce really creamy.
How to store
This carrot pasta sauce will store well in the fridge for about 3-5 days. I either reheat it in the microwave, or on the stove with a splash of milk to make it creamy.
If you use gluten free pasta like I did, keep in mind that it tends to fall apart when you reheat it, especially chickpea or legume based pastas, but the flavor will still be delicious!
The best noodles
Certain pasta sauces pair best with certain shapes, but this carrot sauce pairs well with virtually any pasta shape!
Since it has somewhat of a mac and cheese feel, you could go with shells or elbows, or fettuccine like alfredo, or stick with something simple like penne! I used the Banza cavatappi for some added protein and fiber.
However, you can use regular pasta and serve this alongside some grilled chicken for extra protein with a side caesar salad for more veggies!
More pasta recipes you’ll love!
If you want more recipes straight to your inbox, be sure to subscribe to my email list. As always, if you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram and leave a comment below so I can see your creation!
Roasted Red Pepper Carrot Pasta
by: claire cary
- 12 ounces pasta of choice
- 5 large carrots
- 2 red bell peppers
- ½ large red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt or more, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup parmesan dairy free or regular
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop the bell peppers, peel and chop the carrots and chop the red onion.
- Add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with one tablespoon of the oil.
- Roast for 40 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, saute the minced garlic in a pot with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- When the veggies are done, add to a blender with the milk, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and tomato paste.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer to the pot with the garlic and stir in the parmesan.
- Whisk together and heat over low heat.
- Combine with the cooked pasta, taste and adjust flavors as desired. I often add more red pepper flakes for spice, more salt or more parmesan.
- Serve warm and enjoy!