Easy, creamy, and so delicious, this asparagus pasta salad with lemon dressing is the perfect addition to your summer picnic or barbecue!
Growing up, my mom made pasta salad allllll the time. Probably because it was easy and we could get many meals out of it. But also because it’s delicious! I generally only ate the pasta and picked out all the veggies though. Oops! Times have clearly changed.
What goes in this pasta salad?
Essentially just pasta, beans, veggies and a creamy lemon dressing! There are no “rules” for pasta salad. You can add whatever you like! I generally do a bean and lots of veggies. However, the exact veggies you decide on are totally up to you! I will say that this is the BEST dressing for pasta salad. It’s easy, creamy, but also light and fresh. It’s very nutritious and both vegan and gluten free. That’s a win win win in my book!
What’s the best dressing for pasta salad?
This one!!! I’m a little biased, but seriously! This lemon hemp dressing is creamy, easy, and so delicious. It would be delicious on a regular salad as well or as a dip for your favorite veggies. But as a dressing for this pasta salad is my favorite.
A few notes on this simple asparagus pasta salad recipe:
- I used brown rice pasta to keep this recipe gluten free. However, any pasta will work. I just like brown rice pasta because it holds it shape well and has a similar taste and texture to regular pasta.
- You can add virtually any vegetables you want into this dish. Tomatoes, shredded carrots, edamame, radishes-anything goes! I wanted to keep it very green, but feel free to play around!
- This asparagus pasta salad will last in the fridge for up to 5 days. I often find that pasta salads taste better after a day or so because all of the flavors get to integrate.
- For a more tangy flavor to the dressing, you can add about a tablespoon of dijon mustard.
- This pasta salad recipe is perfect for a crowd, party, or a barbecue! You can make it way in advance, let it sit in the fridge, and you can forget about it.
If you’re looking for some other easy summer recipes, try these!
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Creamy Avocado Mango Smoothie
- Lemon Coconut Energy Bites
Lastly, if you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram so I can see your creation!Print
This asparagus pasta salad with creamy lemon dressing is the perfect addition to your summer barbecue or picnic!
- 16 ounces uncooked pasta (I used brown rice pasta)
- 1 can small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped small
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 cup peas, defrosted
- 5 green onion stalks
- 2/3 cup hemp hearts
- 2/3 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2–3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black or white pepper
- Optional: 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Prepare all your veggies by cutting off the stems of the asparagus (the bottom inch or two), chopping the broccoli into small bites, and dicing the bell pepper and green onion.
- Add the broccoli and asparagus to a pot of water with a steamer basket. Let steam for about 7 minutes.
- Add the peas during the last few minutes.
- Prepare the dressing by adding all ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Taste and add additional seasoning if desired.
- Drain and rinse the pasta and beans and add to a large bowl.
- Add in the veggies and dressing.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Add in a handful of fresh arugula if desired and additional salt and pepper.
Stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: vegan pasta salad, lemon hemp dressing, white bean pasta salad, asparagus pasta salad