This creamy, dairy free, white bean pasta sauce is a quick and easy high protein dinner that the whole family will love!
I’ve always had a thing for smooth and creamy pasta sauce. To this day I still put store bought pasta sauces in the blender to make them creamy. Is that weird? Probably, but honestly it makes it SO much better! Anyway, I gave up dairy almost 4 years ago because of my skin, and initially thought creamy pasta sauces were out of the picture. I thought wrong!
I’ve experimented with all sorts of ingredients to make sauces creamy but definitely have a few favorites. Dairy free butter always makes things rich and creamy, but I try to avoid processed ingredients in my recipes. Cashews, white beans, and coconut cream are my favorites as of late.
How to make a creamy sauce without dairy
There are several ways to make a creamy vegan pasta sauce. I often use cashews like in my vegan fettucini alfredo sauce but since many people have issues digesting cashews, I wanted a sauce without them! For this recipe, we’ll be using a two key ingredients to yield a very creamy consistency
- White beans→ Beans are a great way to make something creamy without adding dairy. Plus, they add a lot of protein, fiber, and other nutrients to the sauce without you even realizing.
- Olive oil → A little bit of olive oil makes *most* recipes better. In this white bean pasta, the olive oil helps make the sauce rich and creamy without a touch of dairy. It also adds a great flavor a lots of healthy fats.
A few notes on this white bean pasta
- You can use any white bean in this recipe such as cannellini, small white beans, great northern beans etc. but I would not recommend using chickpeas.
- To make this recipe oil free you can sub the olive oil for vegetable broth. However, the sauce won’t be quite as creamy or have the same flavor without the oil.
- I used brown rice pasta to keep it gluten free, but any pasta will work.
- In place of nutritional yeast, you can use my dairy free parmesan recipe which you can find with my vegan pesto pasta.
Try these other dairy free pasta recipes next!
- Life changing vegan tomato basil cream sauce
- 20 minute hemp & lemon pesto pasta
- Asparagus pasta salad with creamy lemon dressing
This creamy white bean pasta sauce is a delicious, dairy free dinner for the whole family.
- 8 ounces pasta of choice
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup unflavored plant milk (can also sub for veggie broth)
- 3–4 large cloves garlic
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp juice and 1-2 tsp zest)
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 –1 tsp sea salt
- black or white pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add to a food processor or high speed blender.
- Mince the garlic and add to a pan with a touch of olive oil.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a high speed blender along with all remaining ingredients and process until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour on top of cooked pasta and enjoy!
To make this recipe oil free, you can sub the olive oil for veggie broth, though it won’t be quite as creamy or have the same flavor.
Keywords: white bean pasta, creamy vegan pasta, vegan alfredo sauce, vegan garlic pasta