Mexican inspired vegan tofu tacos! These easy vegan tacos are bursting with flavor with every bite, made with simple ingredients, and bound to impress the biggest meat eater.
I wish I had a picture of my mom’s face when I made these tacos for her. The only word she could get out of her mouth before taking another bite was “wow.”
Her reaction speaks for itself. These vegan tofu tacos are out of this world good and have more flavor than I would have though possible in a simple tofu taco.
It all starts with a base of Spanish rice (or cilantro lime rice if that’s more your thing), fresh black bean and corn salsa, my tofu and walnut taco meat crumbles, chopped romaine lettuce for a little crunch, and a creamy dairy free cilantro lime crema to top if all off.
Are you drooling yet?! I certainly hope so because these vegan tacos are calling your name and I cannot wait for you to try them!
- Tofu Walnut Taco Meat: The vegan taco meat for this recipe is made from a base of tofu and walnuts and a whole lot of spices! It’s amazing, I promise.
- Spanish Rice: You can absolutely use regular white or brown rice if you want to, but the Mexican rice will be done cooking before the taco meat and adds so much flavor!
- Chopped Romaine Lettuce: You can use any kind of lettuce you like, but green leaf and romaine add a nice crisp crunch to the tacos.
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa: This essentially involves combining a can of black beans, corn, and your favorite salsa! I suggest using fresh pico de gallo from your grocery store for the best flavor.
- Fresh Cilantro: If you think cilantro tastes like soap, definitely leave it out of this recipe, but a little sprinkle on top adds some nice flavor.
- Cilantro Lime Crema: Tofu tacos are never complete without a creamy dressing on top! This cilantro lime crema has a base of cashews and is ready in 2 minutes!
I’ve played around with so many different types of vegan taco meat over the years. my previous go to just wasn’t cutting it anymore and I felt like it was time for an upgrade.
Tofu taco meat on the stove always ended up too wet and lentils never gave a meaty enough texture. BUT, tofu + walnuts, pulsed to crumbles then baked in the oven was like striking gold.
You get the most perfectly crumbly and meaty texture, an incredible flavor thanks to chipotle peppers, and it’s both chewy and crispy and baked to perfection.
Other ways to enjoy this recipe
- Burrito/Taco Bowl: Throw all of the ingredients into a bowl for a taco on the go!
- Nachos: Chips, taco meat, corn, salsa, guac, YUM!
- Breakfast Hash: Combine it with some eggs, potatoes, and veggies for a delicious breakfast! I may have just inspired myself to create a new recipe!
- Salad: Add some protein and flavor to any salad with this tofu meat!
A few final thoughts
- You can use any kind of tortilla you like for this vegan tofu taco recipe. Corn, flour, corn + flour, almond flour, whatever you have! All of the ingredients in this recipe are gluten free as always, so use your favorite GF tortilla!
- The cilantro lime crema will probably make more than you will need for this recipe, so it will keep in the fridge for 1 week. Store it in an air tight container for best results and give it a good shake before you use it next.
- I highly recommend warming or toasting the tortillas before serving. You can do this on a pan on the stove, over an open flame, or pop them in an oven at 200 degrees until warm. I like to put it on an open flame for 10 seconds to get slightly crispy edges.
- As written, this recipe is not super spicy. If you want to spice it up, you can add a jalapeno to the spanish rice or cayenne to the taco meat. Or just drizzle everything with some hot sauce before you’re ready to eat!
- Most taco shells are vegan, but some might contain egg. Be sure to check the ingredient labels if you follow a vegan diet/lifestyle. Corn tortillas are always a safe bet and generally only contain corn, lime and water. Siete foods is a favorite of mine and they make vegan and grain free tortillas!
- For a lighter option, you can throw all of these ingredients into a bowl! Start with a bed of chopped romaine lettuce and throw everything on top with a generous pour of the cilantro lime crema. Or you can substitute the regular tortilla for a whole romaine leaf and make a lettuce wrap taco.
Try these dinner recipes next!
- Sheet Pan Garlic Sesame Tofu
- Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce
- Easy Falafel Recipe
- Chickpea Tacos
- The Best Vegan Buddha Bowl
Vegan Tacos with Walnut Taco Meat
- 1 batch tofu walnut taco meat
- 1 batch Spanish Rice or cilantro lime rice
- 1 can black beans OR restaurant style instant pot black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo (can also use regular salsa if that's all you have)
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup chopped romaine or green leaf lettuce
- Chopped cilantro to top
- 8 small tortillas (corn, flour, or other)
Cilantro Lime Crema:
- 1 cup cashews (soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, and then drained)
- 3/4-1 cup water (start with 3/4 and add more as needed)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine the drained and rinsed black beans, corn, and salsa/pico de gallo.
- In a high speed blender, blend all of the ingredients for the cilantro lime crema until completely smooth. Depending on your blender, you may need to let it run for a good minute to make sure the cashews process completely. Soaking the cashews overnight makes this process much easier!
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Assemble the tacos by warming the tortillas on the stove and then adding in spanish rice, taco crumbles, lettuce, black bean/corn salsa, avocado and the cilantro lime crema. Enjoy!