Meet your new favorite pasta recipe. This vegan spaghetti sauce AKA spaghetti pomodoro is a simple tomato sauce that makes the perfect date night dinner. It’s made with just 10 simple ingredients and ready in only 20 minutes.
This may look like a traditional plate of spaghetti with sauce on it (the longer I stare at it, the more I feel that way, ugh!), but I promise you it’s not. It might only take 20 minutes and 10 ingredients to make, but this vegan spaghetti sauce is a flavorful dinner that is perfect for date night and is even kid approved.
I am on a mission to share a recipe for every type of pasta sauce on this blog. What do you think?! I already have alfredo, pesto, vodka sauce, tomato basil cream sauce, and now pomodoro so I think I’m off to a good start. If you have any suggestions for other recipes that I can simplify and put my own twist on, I am all ears!
What is pomodoro sauce made of?
This spaghetti pomodoro sauce is made of really simple ingredients, requiring only 10 items you probably already have in your pantry.
- Whole peeled tomatoes (from a can)
- Yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Tomato paste
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper
How to make spaghetti pomodoro
The first step is to bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. I suggest adding a generous amount of salt to the water to ensure the pasta itself is very flavorful.
While that is cooking, roughly mince the garlic and chop the onion. We will be blending them later on so don’t worry if it’s not perfect! Let that sauté with the olive oil for about 5-10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
Next, add in the basil, and salt and sauté for a few minutes to let the flavors blend. Finally, add that mixture along with the can of tomatoes and all remaining ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and desired.
Combine the sauce with the cooked pasta and stir until well combined. Top with more fresh basil, and sprinkle of cashew parmesan and additional red pepper flakes if desired.
What is the difference between pomodoro sauce and marinara sauce?
If you look just at the ingredients of pomodoro sauce and marinara sauce, they are virtually the same. However, the difference is in the consistency. Marinara sauce is generally chunkier whereas pomodoro sauce is smooth.
The smooth texture of pomodoro sauce is one of the reasons I love it so much. If you prefer a chunkier sauce, you can leave the onion/garlic mixture out of the blender when you process the tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients, or add some fresh chopped tomatoes to the sauce once it is prepared.
I used gluten free pasta for this recipe, which “attaches” to sauce differently than traditional pasta does. Gluten free pasta can become a bit dry over time, but there is plenty of sauce to add in case that happens.
If using gluten free pasta be sure to rinse it well after it cooks to rinse off the extra starch. This will help prevent the sauce from drying out.
Vegan spaghetti sauce tips, tricks, and notes
- Once prepared, this recipe will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat, add it to the stove with a splash of olive oil or vegetable broth and heat until warm.
- If you do not have whole peeled tomatoes, you can use diced tomatoes instead. Just be sure to use a 28 ounce can.
- This sauce can be frozen! If you are someone who likes to meal prep, you can make a large batch and put it into freezer safe containers and freeze for 3 months. Be sure the sauce has completely cooled before sealing the container.
- White onion can be used in place of yellow onion, though this will change the flavor slightly.
Try these vegan pasta sauce recipes next!
- Lemon Asparagus Pasta with Creamy White Bean Sauce
- Creamy Vegan Vodka Sauce
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Follow along on on instagram and subscribe to my email list for more recipes and updates. Leave a comment and rating below if you try this vegan spaghetti sauce recipe and let us know how it turns out!Print
Meet your new favorite pasta. This vegan spaghetti pomodoro sauce is a simple tomato sauce that makes the perfect date night dinner. It’s made with just 10 simple ingredients and ready in only 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Dice the onion and garlic and add to a pan with the olive oil.
- Saute for 5-10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped basil and salt and saute an additional 5 minutes to let the flavors blend together.
- Add the onion mixture to a blender along with the can of tomatoes and all remaining ingredients.
- Process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. The sauce will thicken slightly as it sits, though it should be pretty thick at this point.
- Combine the cooked spaghetti and sauce and top with fresh basil and cashew parmesan if desired.
Once prepared, this recipe will store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
The whole peeled tomatoes can be subbed for diced/chopped tomatoes, just be sure to use a 28 ounce can.
This sauce can be frozen! You can make a large batch and put the sauce into freezer safe containers and freeze for 3 months. Be sure the sauce has completely cooled before sealing the container.
The sauce as prepared is not spicy, if you want it to be spicy then add extra red pepper flakes.
White onion can be used in place of yellow onion, though this will change the flavor slightly.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 338
- Fat: 16.3g
- Carbohydrates: 50.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 6.2g
Keywords: spaghetti pomodoro, vegan spaghetti sauce, vegan pasta sauce