Creamy, delicious, and made with simple ingredients, this mushroom broccoli rigatoni with lemon garlic cream sauce is a simple and delicious dinner. It’s ready in about 20 minutes and approved by both kids and adults!
You guyyyyyys. I didn’t think it would be possible to make a dairy free sauce that was so creamy, so simple, and so damn easy to make. Yet here we are.
While I LOVE my roasted red pepper pasta and dairy free pesto, I think this mushroom broccoli rigatoni might take the cake on my all type favorite pasta recipes. Sprinkle on top some cashew parmesan and you’ve suddenly gone to vegan pasta heaven.
There’s no cashew soaking involved (I got you impatient people) but you still get a gorgeously creamy sauce in *literally* 20 minutes. I think I found heaven.
How to make a creamy vegan pasta
It’s easier than you think ladies and gents. Especially this cream sauce! Follow these simple steps to get the perfect lemon garlic cream sauce every time.
- First, you’ll want to bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the chopped broccoli and mushrooms to a pan with about 1/2 inch of water and let steam for about 5-7 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce, mince the garlic very finely and add to a large saute pan with the olive oil. Cook until the garlic starts to brown slightly.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Slowly pour in the almond milk and whisk together.
- Add in the lemon juice and reduce heat to low. Let simmer until the sauce is thick.
- Add in the salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- For an extra creamy sauce, use an immersion blender to process the sauce until completely smooth. It will be delicious and creamy blended or not!
- Add the veggies and sauce to the pasta and combine well.
- Top with additional salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes and enjoy!
A few notes on this vegan garlic cream sauce
- This recipe can easily be made nut free by subbing almond milk for soy, or any other non-dairy milk.
- Once prepared, this pasta will store in the fridge for about 3 days, but tastes best when served right away. To reheat, add to a pan with a splash of milk and heat until creamy and warm.
- If you want some extra lemon flavor, I suggest adding about 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest. There is plenty of lemon without the zest, but it does add some extra flavor.
- I know a whole teaspoon of salt seems like a lot, but it really rounds out the flavor of this dish, so don’t skimp on it!
- The brown rice flour can be subbed for any neutral flour like whole wheat (if not gluten free), regular rice flour, etc.
- I like to use this garlic press to ensure the garlic is very finely minced. You don’t want giant chunks of garlic in the sauce.
- I’ve received a few questions about the 12 cloves of garlic. YES I really do mean TWELVE cloves! Trust me, it’s amazing. The flavors calm down when it cooks, so it won’t be overpowering!
For more delicious pasta recipes, try these!
- Creamy roasted red pepper pasta
- Creamy vegan vodka sauce with penne
- White wine cream sauce with rigatoni
This easy pasta with a vegan garlic cream sauce is a delicious 15 minute vegan dinner.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Gently wash mushrooms to remove any dirt.
- Slice each mushroom into about 4 pieces.
- Add to a pan with the broccoli, add about 1/2 inch of water, cover, and let steam for about 5-7 minutes.
- Mince the garlic and add to a large pot with the olive oil and cook until the garlic starts to brown.
- Stir in the flour and whisk to get rid of any clumps.
- Slowly stir in the almond milk and continue to whisk.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest if using.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer until the sauce has thickened. If the sauce doesn’t thicken to your desired consistency, whisk in an additional tbsp of flour.
- Add the salt and pepper and stir.
- For an ultra creamy sauce, transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and process until completely smooth.
- Add the mushrooms, broccoli, and sauce to the cooked pasta.
- Top with additional salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes if desired and enjoy!
The brown rice flour can be subbed with any other neutral flour like white rice flour or all purpose flour if not gluten free.
Any pasta shape will work, but I personally love rigatoni for this dish.
This recipe really does call for TWELVE cloves of garlic. That is not a typo.
For those with nut allergies, the almond milk can be subbed for soy milk.
Be sure to use an unflavored AND unsweetened milk.
I like to use this garlic press to make sure the garlic is very finely minced.
Keywords: vegan cream sauce, creamy vegan pasta, garlic cream sauce