Easy, delicious and decadent, this vegan avocado chocolate mousse is a skin loving dessert with only 6 plant based ingredients!
The Best Chocolate Mousse Recipe
I know I’m a tad biased, but this avocado chocolate mousse is seriously incredible. It’s light and airy yet rich and decadent. It requires just 6 plant based ingredients and you won’t even know there is no dairy involved.
What is mousse made of?
Most chocolate mousse is made from eggs, sugar, whipped cream, and cocoa powder. I not only wanted this recipe to be dairy and egg free, but I wanted it to be refined sugar free, so we’ll be using a few key ingredients instead. This recipe is simple, delicious, and made with wholesome ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen!
- Avocado → To make it fluffy and creamy
- Dates → To add some sweetness
- Maple Syrup → For more sweetness 🙂
- Cacao Powder → For lots of rich chocolate flavor
- Vanilla Extract → To balance out the chocolate
- Almond milk → To help the mousse blend and lighten it up
How to make Chocolate Mousse
First, all you need is a couple of ripe avocados, cacao powder, some simple sweeteners, plant milk, a dash of vanilla plus a pinch of salt. Next, put all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor and process until completely smooth. Voila! Easy vegan avocado chocolate mousse. This recipe will be ready in less than 5 minutes to satisfy all of your chocolate cravings! However, I do suggest putting in the fridge for about an hour before you serve it. I like to top it off with coconut whipped cream and fresh berries, but it is delicious on its own
A few final thoughts on this chocolate mousse
- For an extra strong chocolate flavor, feel free to increase the amount of cacao you use. The recipe as written will yield a perfect chocolate flavor (IMO!) but you are welcome to add more.
- This recipe calls for both dates and maple syrup to sweeten. I suggest using medjool dates because they are softer than other dates and easier to blend.
- This recipe will store in the fridge for about 3 days, though I recommend consuming it fresh.
- I suggest letting it sit in the fridge for about 1 hour before serving for the best texture and flavor.
Try these other dairy free desserts next!
- Cake Batter Energy Balls
- Chewy Paleo Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cookie
- The Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easy, decadent, and perfectly healthful, this avocado chocolate mousse is about to be your new favorite dessert!
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 8 pitted medjool dates
- 1/4 cup plant milk of choice (almond, coconut etc.)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup cacao powder
- Cut the avocados in half. Remove the pit and scoop out the flesh into a high speed blender or food processor.
- Add in all remaining ingredients (make sure you pit the dates!)
- Process until completely smooth and no chunks remain.
- Taste and add more maple syrup or cacao powder if desired.
- Transfer to a bowl, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream, fresh berries, or enjoy as is!
You can use either cacao powder or cocoa powder in this recipe.
Keywords: dairy free chocolate mousse, avocado chocolate mousse, chocolate mousse, vegan chocolate mousse