Easy, delicious and decadent, this vegan avocado chocolate mousse is a simple dessert with only 6 plant based ingredients! It’s incredibly rich and creamy and comes together in just 5 minutes!
I know I’m a tad biased, but this vegan avocado chocolate mousse is seriously incredible. It’s light and airy yet rich and decadent. It requires just 6 simple ingredients and you won’t even know that it is a completely vegan recipe!
It’s technically designed for dessert, but it’s made with such wholesome ingredients so I won’t judge you if you eat it first thing in the morning. I’ve done it before.
Most chocolate mousse is made from eggs, sugar, whipped cream, and cocoa powder. This recipe however, is vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free! It’s simple, delicious, and made with wholesome ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen!
- Avocado. To make it fluffy and creamy. The avocados make up the base of this recipe. You’ll need 2 really ripe avocados for 1 batch.
- Dates. To add some sweetness. If you don’t have dates (or just don’t want to use them) feel free to sub for extra maple syrup.
- Maple Syrup. For more sweetness. This is dessert after all! You are welcome to sub the maple syrup for honey or another sweetener of choice such as coconut sugar.
- Cocoa Powder and Melted Chocolate. For lots of rich chocolate flavor. In addition to the cocoa, we’ll use 1/3 cup of melted chocolate chips for the ultimate rich chocolate flavor.
- Vanilla Extract. To balance out the chocolate.
- Almond milk. To help the mousse blend and lighten it up just a bit! You can use any non-dairy milk here such as soy if you want to make it a nut-free mousse.
How to make this recipe
First things first, put all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor and process until completely smooth. If your dates were on the drier side, you may want to let it run for a good minute or so to ensure everything gets completely smooth.
Taste and adjust any flavors as desired. Depending on the type of cocoa powder you used, you may want to add a touch more, or a splash of extra maple syrup for additional sweetness.
Voila! Easy vegan avocado chocolate mousse. This recipe will be ready in less than 5 minutes to satisfy all of your chocolate cravings!
However, I do suggest putting in the fridge for about an hour before you serve it to let all of the flavors blend together and to make it nice and cold.
I like to top it off with coconut whipped cream and fresh berries, but it is delicious on its own!
What kind of chocolate is best?
It actually depends! In this recipe we’ll be using cocoa powder and melted semi-sweet chocolate to make this mousse really fluffy, chocolatey and airy.
The melted chocolate adds a rich, luxurious flavor and makes this healthier avocado chocolate mousse taste like like traditional mousse!
Frequently asked questions
Can I make it more rich? For an extra strong chocolate flavor, feel free to increase the amount of cocoa or melted chocoalte you use. The recipe as written will yield a perfect chocolate flavor (in my opinion!) but you are welcome to add more.
What’s the best sweetener? This recipe calls for both dates and maple syrup to sweeten. I suggest using medjool dates because they are softer than other dates and easier to blend.
Does it keep? This recipe will store in the fridge for about 5 days. Keep it in an air tight container or jar to prevent it from drying out.
Try these next
- Cake Batter Energy Balls
- Paleo Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you want more recipes straight to your inbox, be sure to subscribe to my email list! If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram so I can see your creation and leave a comment/rating below and let me know how it turns out!
Vegan Avocado Chocolate Mousse
by: claire cary
- Melt the chocolate and add to the food processing along with all remaining ingredients (make sure you pit the dates!)
- Process until completely smooth and no chunks remain, about 1 full minute.
- Taste and add more maple syrup or cocoa powder if desired.
- Transfer to a bowl, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream, fresh berries, or enjoy as is! I like to mix in a few scoops of coconut whipped cream right into the mousse to make it nice and light/fluffy and then add an extra dollop on top.