These baked buffalo tofu wings are the perfect appetizer for a party or game day snack! They’re crispy, spicy and so easy to make. Serve with your favorite ranch dip and a side of celery for the ultimate crowd pleaser.
Buffalo sauce is one of my most favorite condiments. Buffalo cauliflower, buffalo chickpea taquitos, I could put it on everything.
These buffalo tofu wings are a vegan take on my buffalo popcorn chicken. I opted to cut these into long strips to make them ore like wings, but you can definitely cut them into small pieces and make tofu bites!
It is definitely possible to make really crispy tofu without any oil or frying anything! Instead, we’ll be coating them in breadcrumbs and either baking or air frying to get that crispy coating,
On it’s own, tofu doesn’t have a very strong taste. It really takes on whatever flavors and seasonings you put on it!
I love lemon pepper seasoning on tofu, but buffalo sauce is always a favorite. If you love this recipe, try my vegan chicken nuggets next!
How to make buffalo tofu wings
Remove the tofu from the package and drain off all excess liquid. Wrap in a towel and gently press to dry a bit.
Cut in half width wise, then cut into long strips.
Add the tapioca to one bowl, the milk to another bowl, and the breadcrumbs, paprika and salt to another bowl.
Take each piece of tofu, dip in the tapioca, then dip in the milk, then dip in the breadcrumbs until well coated.
Add to the baking sheet, keeping each piece of tofu away from each other to ensure it gets nice and crispy.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, flipping halfway to ensure even cooking.
Let cool for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter and combine with the buffalo sauce.
Pour the sauce over the tofu and serve immediately.
Air fryer instructions
I love making these buffalo tofu wings in the air fryer because a) it’s so easy, and b) they get so perfectly crispy on all sides without needing to rotate.
To make these in the air fryer, follow all of the same instructions as usual, but place in your air fryer basket in a single layer. You may need to do this in two batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
Air fry at 400 for 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Let cool for 5 minutes, then toss in the sauce!
Frequently asked questions
Do they keep?
Unfortunately, any kind of baked tofu doesn’t hold up very well in the fridge. They will keep for about 2 days, but the texture will soften and the crispy coating will lose its crisp.
If you do want to prep these in advance, I suggest keeping them in the fridge before coating them in the buffalo sauce. Then, when you’re ready to serve, reheat in the oven or air fryer for about 5 minutes, then toss in the sauce.
Do I need to press tofu?
I wanted to keep this recipe as quick and simple as possible, so I didn’t write the pressing part into the instructions.
However, if you want more of a meaty texture, I do recommend pressing the tofu for at least 30 minutes. You don’t need a tofu press, I usually use a cast iron pan or another heavy object!
What should I serve with tofu?
When it comes to anything buffalo flavored, carrots and celery are always classic sides. With this buffalo tofu, I actually love to chop it up and serve it with my vegan caesar salad.
The caesar dressing pairs really well with the spicy buffalo sauce.
More tofu recipes you’ll love!
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on instagram so I can see your creation! Leave a comment and rating below and let me know how it turns out!
Buffalo Tofu Wings
by: claire cary
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs can sub regular
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain off all excess liquid. Wrap in a towel and gently press to dry a bit.
- Cut in half width wise, then cut into long strips.
- Add the tapioca to one bowl, the milk to another bowl, and the breadcrumbs, paprika and salt to another bowl.
- Take each piece of tofu, dip in the tapioca until all sides are lightly coated, then dip in the milk, then dip in the breadcrumbs until well coated.
- Add to the baking sheet, keeping each piece of tofu away from each other to ensure it gets nice and crispy.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, flipping halfway to ensure even cooking.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter and combine with the buffalo sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu and serve immediately.
These were amazing! Crispy and delicious