Chocolate lovers rejoice because these chocolate overnight oats are the perfect breakfast to satisfy your chocolate craving. They’re gluten free, dairy free, and ready in 5 minutes for the perfect on the go breakfast.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you buy any products through those links. I only link to products I absolutely love and use myself! Thank you for making Eat With Clarity possible!
So… I’m actually not a huge chocolate person. I know, I’m crazy. I’ve preferred vanilla since I was young, but ohmygosh this chocolate overnight oats recipe is heaven on earth.
They’re so easy to make, that is the nature of overnight oats after all. Plus, they’re completely gluten free, dairy free and store well in the fridge so you can have breakfast for every day of the week waiting for you!
This recipe requires just 7 ingredients you probably already have in your pantry and makes the perfect on the go breakfast for work, school or just when you need something quick.
- Oats: Rolled oats (A.K.A. old fashioned oats) are going to be the best kind of oats for overnight oats. They absorb the liquid well, but if you only have quick oats, those work as well!
- Chia Seeds: The chia seeds help soak up some of the extra liquid and give the oats a creamy consistency. They also add a good amount of protein and fiber as well!
- Maple Syrup: You can sub the maple syrup for honey or even coconut sugar, but this just works to sweeten the oats and balance the bitter flavor from the cocoa powder.
- Non-Dairy Milk: Any non-dairy milk will work, vanilla almond milk is my personal favorite!
- Vanilla & cinnamon: For a little extra flavor.
- Non-Dairy Yogurt: You don’t need to make overnight oats with yogurt, but it makes them SO creamy! I love the Kite Hill Greek style yogurt, but So Delicious makes some great ones as well. If you aren’t a fan of yogurt, just leave this out!
How to make this recipe
Overnight oats are probably the easiest breakfast on the planet. To make this recipe, all you need to do is combine all ingredients in a bowl, jar or tupperware container.
If using a jar, put the lid on and shake all ingredients to combine. If using a bowl or container, just stir everything together until evenly distributed. Try to make sure there are no clumps of cocoa.
If using a jar, the chia seeds tend to sink to the bottom, so be sure to give everything a good stir before you eat.
Suggested servings and toppings
Banana: Banana and oats are a timeless classic. It’s no wonder by caramelized banana oatmeal has been such a hit!
Berries: Blueberries are especially good with these oats, but any type of berries sounds delicious to me.
Nut Butter: Chocolate and peanut butter… need I say more?!
Chopped Nuts: Slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, peanuts, pecans, whatever you see fit!
Seeds: A sprinkle of hemp seeds or extra chia seeds adds a little crunch.
Drizzle of honey: A little extra sweetener never hurt anyone 🙂
Do you eat them hot or cold?
Generally, overnight oats are eaten cold! If that seems at all odd to you, you can definitely eat them warm. Just pop them into the microwave after they soak or add them to the stove until warm, then add your desired toppings.
Do they keep well?
Once prepared, the chocolate overnight oats will store in the fridge for 3-5 days. Keep them covered with foil or a lid so they don’t dry out.
Tips & tricks
- As written, these oats are not overly sweet, feel free to add an extra tablespoon of maple syrup or honey to sweeten more. You can also add in 1/2 mashed banana for natural sweetness.
- The non-dairy yogurt will help make these oats extra creamy, but can easily be made without. I like the Greek style yogurt but Kite Hill.
- If using quick oats, I suggest using 1 cup of non-dairy milk instead of 1 1/4 cup because quick oats require less liquid to soften and you don’t want the final product to be liquidy.
Try these next!
- Peanut Butter Jelly Overnight Oats
- Baked Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal
- PB & J Granola Bars
- Banana Bread Granola
Creamy Chocolate Overnight Oats (Gluten Free)
- Mix well to combine all ingredients. Let sit for a few minutes, then stir again to make sure everything is well combined.
- Cover and let set in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours to thicken and to let the oats soften.
- Top it off in the morning with banana, berries, peanut butter etc!