Made with simple ingredients, these fluffy gluten free pancakes are delicious, and will soon be your favorite weekend breakfast! They’re vegan, refined sugar free, and oil free, but I promise they are 100% delicious.
This recipe was originally published on September 29, 2018, but has been updated as of September 18, 2019 with new photos and a slightly modified recipe.
These fluffy gluten free pancakes really may just be the fluffiest pancakes around. Want to know one of the key ingredients to making these pancakes so fluffy?! …..quinoa flour!
Because quinoa flour has a nutty flavor, it gets balanced out with oat flour, which together, make these pancakes SO fluffy. They’re freezer friendly too which makes them perfect for meal prep!
Ingredients for ultra fluffy pancakes
- Oat flour: The oat flour is the base of the recipe.
- Quinoa flour: The quinoa flour makes the pancakes super fluffy and also adds extra protein.
- Coconut sugar: To lighten sweeten the batter. You can also use brown sugar or maple syrup instead.
- Cinnamon: For extra flavor.
- Non-dairy milk: To mix everything together. You can use any type of non-dairy milk. My personal favorite is almond.
- Apple sauce: To help bind the ingredients together since these are egg free pancakes.
- Apple cider vinegar: To help the baking soda activate.
- Vanilla: For extra flavor.
- Baking soda and powder: To make the pancakes fluffy. Baking soda helps this spread, whereas baking powder helps this rise. We want both for this recipe!
How to make fluffy gluten free pancakes
This recipe could not be more simple. First you’ll want to combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. This includes the oat flour, quinoa flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and salt. Mix well.
Add in all of the remaining ingredients and whisk together until a batter forms. Use a 1/3 measuring cup to measure the batter onto a warm griddle or pan. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles start to form.
Transfer to a cooling rack while you prepare all of the other pancakes. This ensures the bottom of the pancake doesn’t get soggy from the heat sitting on a plate.
These pancakes are perfect with some good old fashioned maple syrup, but I love topping them off with banana slices, blueberries, and crushed walnuts.
Feel free to throw in some chocolate chips to the batter (or just make my chocolate chip pancakes!), or even some blueberries if desired.
Fluffy pancakes tips & tricks!
- To make your pancakes fluffier, be sure you don’t over mix the batter. Mix it just until everything is incorporated, but not more!
- This recipe also uses plenty of of baking soda AND baking powder, which helps give the ultimate fluffy texture. The baking powder is especially important for making pancakes fluffy, so be sure to use the full 2 teaspoons.
- Once prepared, these pancakes will store in the fridge for 5 days. Keep them in an air tight container and reheat on the stove, toaster or microwave. My personal preference is to reheat in the toaster.
- These pancakes can also be frozen, they will keep in the freezer for 2-3 weeks. Make sure to let them cool completely before transferring to an air tight container.
- The batter will thicken as it sits. The recipe calls for 3/4 – 1 cup non-dairy milk, I suggest starting with 3/4 cup and adding the remaining 1/4 cup as you cook the pancakes to prevent the batter from getting too thick. However, thicker batter means fluffier pancakes!
Try these gluten free breakfast recipes next!
Try this recipe? Leave a comment and rating below and let us know how it turns out! Follow along on instagram for more recipes & updates!Print
Made with simple ingredients, these fluffy gluten free pancakes are so delicious and will soon be your favorite weekend breakfast! They’re vegan, refined sugar free, and oil free, but I promise they are 100% delicious.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 – 1 cup plant milk
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix together.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl and whisk together.
- Use a 1/3 measuring cup to pour the batter onto a warm griddle or saute pan.
- Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or flip once bubbles start to form.
- Repeat until all batter has been used.
The batter will thicken as it sits, start with 3/4 cup milk and add an additional 1/4 as needed.
You want the batter to be pretty thick so the pancakes get nice and fluffy, so avoid adding too much extra liquid.
If you do not have oat flour or quinoa flour, you can use whole rolled oats and whole dry quinoa and blend in a high speed blender until a flour forms.
These pancakes will keep in the fridge for 5 days, or in the freezer for 2-3 weeks.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 315
- Sugar: 12.3g
- Fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrates: 56.1g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 9.7g
Keywords: fluffy vegan pancakes, gluten free vegan pancakes, fluffy gluten free pancakes