This mashed chickpea tuna salad is a vegan take on the classic tuna or chicken salad. It’s the perfect plant based lunch for school, work, or a trip to the beach!
Confession time: I’ve never like chicken salad, tuna salad, or potato salad all that much. Am I the only one? Probably, lol! But I LOVE this mashed chickpea salad! Mayo has always kind of grossed me out, so I opted for some tahini and dijon mustard to give this recipe flavor and to keep it nice and moist.
Why are chickpeas good for you?
Chickpeas are by far my favorite legume. They’re a great source of plant based protein, fiber, and iron. Most people don’t get nearly enough fiber in their diet. Just one serving of this chickpea salad provides nearly 20% of your daily value of fiber. #winning. Whether you call them chickpeas or garbanzo beans, these little legumes are a nutritional powerhouse! This mashed chickpea salad is a filling and delicious lunch.
How to store chickpea salad and a few final thoughts
- This chickpea salad will keep in the fridge for about 5 days. Store it in an air tight container to keep it nice and fresh.
- This recipe is delicious in a wrap, as a sandwich, or just on its own! Either way, I love it with some fresh black pepper and some sprouts on top.
- It’s easiest to use a food processor to process the chickpeas, though you can also just use a fork or a potato masher. If using a food processor, you’ll want to just pulse the chickpeas a few times until they are broken up but still have a few whole pieces.
Are chickpeas good for weight loss?
This is a much more loaded question than one may think! However, because of their high protein and fiber content, chickpeas are a great addition to a healthy diet and can support weight loss over time. They help keep you full, and because they have lots of fiber, support healthy digestion and elimination, which is very important when looking to lose weight.
Try these other lunch recipes next!
- Rainbow veggie collard wraps
- Quick and easy quinoa tabbouleh salad
- Spinach Strawberry Salad with poppy seed dressing
This mashed chickpea salad is a delicious and vegan take on your favorite chicken salad!
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/4 large red onion (about 1/3 cup chopped)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2–3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1–2 tbsp runny tahini (see notes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to a bowl.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash or pulse a few times in a food processor, being sure to leave a few chickpea chunks.
- Peel and chop the carrot and add to the bowl.
- Chop the onion, cilantro, celery, mince the garlic and add to the bowl.
- Add in all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Enjoy as is, on top of some toast, or in a wrap!
Your tahini should be nice and runny-not like cardboard! I like the brand Soom Foods or the 365 Whole Foods tahini.
Keywords: chickpea salad, chickpea tuna salad, mashed chickpea salad, healthy chickpea salad
This recipe is adapted by Shannon from The Glowing Fridge.