Light, refreshing, and packed with protein, this quinoa breakfast bowl is a simple breakfast that is perfect for meal prep!
I was on a huge oatmeal kick a few months ago, but suddenly find myself very sick of it (sorry oatmeal). Especially in the hot summer, a warm porridge is not always what my body wants! Smoothies are usually my go to in the summer, but these days I’m loving this high protein quinoa breakfast bowl.
This is a high protein breakfast bowl that can very easily be prepped in advance to make your morning super easy. It’s also incredibly versatile, infused with cinnamony goodness, creamy, perfectly sweet, and I think I just sold you on this recipe so let’s get cooking!
Is oatmeal or quinoa better for you?
Both oats and quinoa are highly nutritious foods, but there are some definite benefits to quinoa. Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. Additionally, quinoa has slightly more fiber than oatmeal.
Quinoa and oats are pretty comparable in their vitamin and mineral breakdown. However, quinoa contains more magnesium and oats contain more iron (source). Whichever you choose, you can feel confident that you’re nourishing your body with a whole lot of goodness!
What is the best way to prepare quinoa?
When your making quinoa for savory meals, there is definitely a preferred way to cook it. However, for breakfast dishes like this one, I have two options that are both delicious!
- Cereal style→ I prefer this quinoa breakfast bowl cereal style, where the quinoa is nice and fluffy and you eat it like you would cereal! With this method, you’ll want to cook the quinoa as you usually would with a 1:2 ratio of quinoa to liquid. I usually like to cook the quinoa ahead of time and let it cool at room temperature before serving. The choice is yours whether you serve it hot or cold!
- Porridge style→ You can also have this breakfast bowl porridge style, where the quinoa is cooked with a bit of extra liquid so it ends up a bit on the mushy side, kind of like oatmeal. With this method, you’ll want to use a 1:2.5 or 1:3 ratio of quinoa to liquid so the quinoa has time to soak it all up and become like a porridge.
If you like this quinoa breakfast bowl, try these other gluten free recipes next!
- Mashed Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
- Raspberry Lime Overnight Chia Pudding
- Clustery Banana Bread Granola
Lastly, if you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and let me know how it turns out! As always, be sure to follow me on instagram for more recipes!Print
This quinoa breakfast bowl is a filling and nutrient dense way to start your day.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (regular or tri-color)
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1–2 slices ripe peaches
- Coconut yogurt or coconut cream
- Slivered Almonds
- Berries of choice
- Honey & cinnamon
- Add all of the ingredients for the quinoa to a medium pot.
- Cook over medium heat and bring to a low boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, cover and let steam for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and lightly fluff with a fork. Serve warm or let cool before serving.
- Serve with peaches, berries, coconut yogurt and a drizzle of honey if desired.
Keywords: quinoa breakfast bowl, high protein breakfast, quinoa porridge, gluten free breakfast recipe