Easy, rich, but entirely dairy free, this is a white wine cream sauce you don’t want to miss! Plus, it only takes about 15 minutes to make.
My blog has only been up and running for about 6 months, but I already have about 1 million pasta recipes. Not actually, of course, but still, there’s lots! Definitely not complaining though because pasta makes everything better, right?! Especially this creamy white wine sauce, it might be my best one yet!
What white wine goes with cream sauce?
I suggest using a white wine that is on the drier side. You definitely don’t want to use one that is too sweet. I personally used pinot grigio for this recipe because it is a bit more neutral than other white wines. I am certainly no wine connoisseur, but I found this post gives a nice overview of different wines and how to use them in cooking. The only thing you want to avoid is purchasing a wine labeled as “cooking wine” because they generally have more salt and other additives and won’t yield a nice rich flavor.
How do you cook with white wine?
It’s much easier than you may think! Plus, all of the alcohol cooks off so this recipe won’t make you drunk, promise 🙂 For this recipe, we will saute garlic, olive oil and white wine together. This allows all of the flavors to blend together and ensures all of the alcohol cooks off. Then, you’ll just need to add all of the remaining ingredients to a food processor and processor until completely smooth!
A few final thoughts on this white wine cream sauce
- I do not suggest using roasted cashews in place of raw cashews. They will yield a different flavor that is not quite as pleasant for pasta.
- A lot of recipes will tell you to soak cashews overnight. However, to speed up the process of soaking cashews, I suggest using boiling hot water. This way, you only need to soak them for about 30 minutes as opposed to overnight.
- This pasta pairs well with some grilled chicken, or fish, or just on its own! You can use chickpea pasta to up the protein content if you like.
- This recipe calls for my homemade vegan parmesan which I explain how to make in my dairy free mac and cheese post. It’s very easy, I promise! However, you are welcome to sub with regular nutritional yeast.
Try these other dairy free pasta recipes next!
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Creamy White Bean Pasta Sauce
- Life Changing Vegan Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
Creamy, flavorful, and easy to make, this white wine pasta sauce is the perfect weeknight dinner!
- Add the cashews into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Mince the garlic and add to a pan with 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Saute until golden brown and nice and fragrant.
- Pour in the white wine and cook for 3-5 minutes so the flavors blend and the alcohol cooks off.
- Add the mixture to a food processor with the drained and rinsed cashews, vegan parmesan, the remaining olive oil, and all of the other ingredients.
- Process until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour over cooked pasta with any veggies of choice (I used kale) and mix until the pasta is well coated.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
You can probably sub the vegan parmesan for equal parts nutritional yeast with no problem.
Keywords: creamy white wine sauce, white wine pasta sauce, dairy free cream sauce, white wine cream sauce