Thick, creamy and made with just 5 plant-based ingredients, this vegan milkshake is the perfect way to satisfy your chocolate craving. Top it with coconut whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce for the perfect chocolatey treat.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you buy any products through those links. I only link to products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for making Eat With Clarity possible!
While I love a milkshake made with good old ice cream, sometimes you just want something a bit more simple. This chocolate vegan milkshake is made with a base of banana and cashews for an extremely creamy but guilt free treat.
You know the magic shell from dairy queen?? Well, this two ingredient recipe is my take on that. Because of the nature of coconut oil, if you add the magic shell to your cup or mix it into the milkshake, it will harden as soon as it cools and add the perfect bit of chocolate crunch.
I personally like milkshakes that are thick enough you have to eat it with a spoon, but still thin enough where you can drink it through a straw if you want. For this recipe, you’re in full control of how thick or thin it is, so anything goes!
Vegan milkshake ingredients
- Banana: Frozen banana makes up the base of the milkshake and kind of acts as our ice cream. When you blend frozen banana, you get an incredibly creamy, almost soft-serve like consistency that I’m kind of obsessed with. Even though we need 3 whole bananas in this recipe, the final milkshake really doesn’t have a strong banana flavor because the dates, vanilla and cocoa powder really mask that well.
- Cashews: Before adding any other ingredients, we’re going to make a thick homemade cashew milk using just some raw cashews and water. This yields an ultra creamy consistency that you wouldn’t be able to achieve with just some store-bought milk.
- Cocoa Powder: The most essential ingredient! I used regular cocoa powder but you can also use cacao powder if you like a stronger flavor.
- Dates or Maple Syrup: Our sweetener! I used mostly dates and then a splash of maple syrup to make it sweet (it’s a milkshake, it should be sweet!), but you can use whatever combination you like. Start with what the recipe calls for and then add more as needed.
- Vanilla Extract: Even a chocolate vegan milkshake needs a bit of vanilla! Just a small splash really helps balance out the other flavors in this recipe.
How to make this recipe
Add the drained and rinsed cashews to a high speed blender with the water. You can try using a regular blender for this recipe, but I highly recommend a high speed blender like a vitamix for best results.
Blend on high for a full minute until completely smooth and creamy. It’s better to over blend than under blend in this case!
Add all remaining ingredients and blend again. If it’s too thick, just add more water or milk as needed to get it to blend.
Blend until completely smooth, then taste and adjust flavors as desired. I usually add a touch of maple syrup for sweetness, but totally up to you!
To make the drizzle/magic shell, add the coconut oil and chocolate chips to a bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until completely melted.
Drizzle into glasses and then pour in the milkshake. Top with coconut whipped cream (essential!) and more of the chocolate drizzle.
Tips & tricks
- While this recipe doesn’t call for any ice cream, you are welcome to throw a scoop into the mix if you want to spruce it up! Either chocolate or vanilla would work well here. One of my favorite dairy-free brands is Nada Moo.
- This recipe is best served fresh, but once prepared, it will keep in the fridge for about 2 days. It won’t stay quite as frozen or thick, but you can re-blend it with a handful of ice to get it creamy again.
Try these next!
Vegan Chocolate Milkshake
- 2 tsp refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped up chocolate bar
- Blend on high for a full minute until completely smooth and creamy. It’s better to over blend than under blend in this case!
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend again. Using the tamper tool that comes with a vitamix really helps, but if you’re having trouble blending, just add more water or non-dairy milk as needed.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust flavors as desired or add more water or milk to thin it out to your desired consistency.
- To make the drizzle/magic shell, add the coconut oil and chocolate chips to a bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until completely melted.
- Drizzle into glasses and then pour in the milkshake. Top with coconut whipped cream (essential!) and more of the chocolate drizzle.