Blend up this energizing maca smoothie for a little afternoon pick me up. It’s perfectly sweet, loaded with protein, healthy fats, and nourishing properties to support energy and overall health.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission if you buy any products through those links. I only link to products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for making Eat With Clarity possible!
Smoothies are my favorite way to get nourishing elixirs into my diet. You can easily mask the flavor of some not so great tasking things (like turmeric in my golden milk smoothie) and get a delicious beverage.
This maca smoothie is loaded with healthy fats, protein, and of course maca which helps support hormone balance and energy. I’ve struggled with hormonal imbalances for a while now, and while seed cycling has been a huge help, sometimes your body needs a little extra boost ya know?!
What is maca?
Maca is a cruciferous vegetable that is generally consumed in powdered form. Maca root is the main edible part of the plant and has a slightly earthy taste. Some people love it, some don’t!
I personally fall into the latter category which is why I’ve created this sweet and creamy smoothie to help mask the flavor.
What are the benefits of maca?
Aside from all of the medicinal benefits of maca, it is also an incredibly nutritious root with lots of vitamins and minerals. It contains high amounts of essential minerals like copper, iron and potassium and is also a great source of fiber to keep your digestive system happy (essential for hormone health)!
Maca has been shown to support hormonal balance in women who are dealing with menopausal symptoms. Researchers believe this is because maca is able to adapt to the bodies needs and increase or decrease hormones as needed.
How to make this recipe
While maca is one of the reasons this smoothie is great for your hormones, it’s also great because it contains a balance of carbs, protein and healthy fats to keep your blood sugar balanced.
To make this smoothie, simply add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender and process until smooth. Feel free to add more cinnamon or an extra date if desired.
To make it Fall themed, add a pinch of nutmeg and cloves or even sub the cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice. Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Recipe tips, tricks and FAQ’s
- With the amount of maca in this smoothie recipe, you won’t really taste it. It doest have a bit of an earthy taste, but the banana, dates and other ingredients really balance it out. It tastes delicious, I promise!
- I like topping this smoothie off with either my banana bread granola of almond butter granola for a little crunch!
- This smoothie is best served fresh, but it will keep in the fridge for 24 hours.
- I prefer using frozen banana in this recipe, but you can also use fresh. If using a fresh banana, you will want to add a handful of ice so that it makes the smoothie nice and cold.
- I sometimes use 2 frozen bananas which makes this almost like a creamy (healthy!) milkshake.
Try these smoothies next!
Creamy Maca Smoothie (Dairy Free)
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Taste and add more dates, cinnamon, or ice as needed. Enjoy!