Made with simple and wholesome ingredients, this Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is comforting, delicious, and makes the perfect weeknight dinner.
At this point, you all know my love for pasta. It’s my go to after a rough day, and my favorite thing to eat after one too many glasses of wine LOL. I think the carbs help soak up the extra alcohol, but who knows! Anyway, this roasted red pepper pasta is one of my favorite pastas. It’s rich and creamy without a touch of dairy and is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
How to make a creamy dairy free pasta sauce
If you’ve recently cut dairy out of your diet, I understand the struggle of not knowing what to use in cooking to make things creamy. Fortunately, there lots of amazing replacements these days to satisfy your creamy pasta cravings. There are a few key ingredients we will be using that will yield a super creamy red pepper sauce.
- Cashews: Raw and soaked cashews are my go to ingredient to make any pasta sauce cream. I do have a slight intolerance to cashews, but I deal with pain after eating this pasta because it’s just so good.
- Olive oil: A good quality olive oil is going to give this sauce depth of flavor and will help round out the creamy texture. You can omit this if you are oil-free, but it won’t be quite the same.
- Almond milk: You can use any non-dairy milk in place of almond milk if needed. Just make sure it is both unflavored and unsweetened, we don’t want any hits of vanilla in this pasta!
This recipe is simple, just the way I like it. First, add the cashews to a bowl of boiling hot water and soak. You will first need to chop the onion, peppers and peel the garlic. Add them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You can cook the pasta as you wait, read a book, or dance around in your kitchen. The choice is yours 🙂
When the veggies are done, add them to a blender with the drained cashews and all remaining ingredients aside from the arrowroot and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth. Transfer to a pan, stir in the final two ingredients and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add in the cooked pasta, top with fresh basil and enjoy!!
Final thoughts on this roasted red pepper pasta
- Once prepared, this pasta will store in the fridge for about 3-5 days. To reheat, add the pasta to a pan with a splash of almond milk, oil or water to bring out the creaminess and reheat over low heat until warm.
- You don’t want to skimp on the onion or the garlic in this recipe. I recommend using 4 large, like really large, cloves of garlic or 6 smaller ones.
- To keep this dish gluten free I used brown rice pasta, but any pasta will do!
- I have not tried this recipe with something in place of the cashews. I would not recommend subbing for another nut or seed, as it won’t yield the same creamy consistency.
Looking for more dairy free pasta recipes? Try these:
- Mushroom Broccoli Rigatoni With Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
- Life Changing Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
- White Wine Cream Sauce with Rigatoni
- Creamy Vegan Vodka Sauce with Penne
Creamy, delicious, and simple to make, this vegan roasted red pepper pasta is a family favorite recipe!
- Add the cashews to a boil and cover with boiling water. Set aside while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the garlic, and chop the onion and bell peppers into large chunks.
- Place on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and roast for 30 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, cook your pasta of choice.
- When the veggies are done, add to a blender or food processor with the drained cashews and all remaining ingredients aside from arrowroot and nutritional yeast and process until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a large skillet and whisk in the arrowroot powder and nutritional yeast until smooth.
- Stir in the pasta, and top with fresh basil if desired!
If you have a tree nut allergy, you can sub the cashews for 1/4 cup of tahini and decrease the amount of almond milk to 1/2 cup. This will alter the taste slightly, but still very delicious! My favorite gluten free pastas are brown rice pasta and chickpea pasta.
Keywords: roasted red pepper pasta, creamy vegan pasta, dairy free pasta, vegan roasted red pepper pasta