Made with simple and wholesome ingredients, this Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is comforting, delicious, and makes the perfect weeknight dinner.
If you know me, or have seen a few of my posts on instagram, you’ll know I’m just a tad obsessed with pasta. I can’t help it, I always have been! There’s just something so comforting about it. It’s my go-to dinner after a rough day or when I need something cozy.
When I was younger, I always ate refined, white pasta with virtually no nutrition. Definitely not something that helped my skin out much! I often just had it with salt and pepper, but sometimes with a red sauce, as long as it didn’t have any chunks of tomatoes (I was a very picky eater if you couldn’t already tell). If there was any sign of a vegetable, I stayed far away. I still prefer my pasta sauces nice and creamy, but these days, I keep my pasta as nutritious as possible.
This sauce has a lot of veggies in there, so if you’re feeding picky eaters, or you yourself are a picky eater, this is a great way to sneak more vegetables into your diet. It does call for cashews, but if you have an allergy, you can sub for tahini. See the notes below for details!
This roasted red pepper pasta is:
- Vegan & gluten free
- Packed with flavor
- Delicious with fresh basil to top!
Looking for more pasta recipes? Try these:
- Mushroom Broccoli Rigatoni With Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
- Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Easy Pasta Salad with Creamy Hemp Dressing
- Life Changing Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
Creamy, delicious, and simple to make, this vegan roasted red pepper penne is a family favorite recipe!
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil (can omit if oil-free)
- 16 ounces pasta of choice
- Add the cashews to a boil and cover with boiling water. Set aside while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the garlic, and chop the onion and bell peppers into large chunks.
- Place on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and roasted for 30 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, cook your pasta of choice.
- When the veggies are done, add to a blender or food processor with the drained cashews and all remaining ingredients aside from arrowroot and nutritional yeast and process until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a large skillet and whisk in the arrowroot powder and nutritional yeast until smooth.
- Stir in the pasta, and top with more salt & pepper if desired.
If you have a tree nut allergy, you can sub the cashews for 1/4 cup of tahini and decrease the amount of almond milk to 1/2 cup. This will alter the taste slightly, but still very delicious! My favorite gluten free pastas are brown rice pasta and chickpea pasta.
Keywords: roasted red pepper pasta, creamy vegan pasta, easy vegan dinner